Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing connection to DC in WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhschell

MIS
Nov 7, 2003
US
I have a WAN connection between 4 different offices. The problem is, I just put a new 2003 Enterprise server with AD in one of my offices. It is setup as a Domain controller incase our connection is lost, they can still connect to the domain. We lose connection to this server once in awhile and can not access it across the WAN. The local office has no problem accessing this server. The only way to reconnect to the server across the WAN is to reboot it. After the reboot, everyone can access it. What would cause this disconnection?

Just a stab in the dark here; but, it's possible that the WAN link is intermittent and causing the AD replication to timeout. Have you tried setting up different sites in AD Sites and Services to manually control your replication topology? It may be that the remote DC is timing out trying to replicate it's information.

As a side note, have you set up the remote DC as a Global Catalog to streamline user access?

I was looking at doing just that to see if it wouuld help but haven't gotten in to it yet. Is there white paper on setting this up correctly?

Thanks for your help. I will look in to it after the New Year when I have some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back