Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing 024-TDL cards constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

skicooper

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2014
US
Running an old Magix system here. 024-TDL is in slot 01. I've had to replace that card at least 8 times in the past year. Sometimes it's just a port or two, so I check the wiring to make sure we're not shorting/arcing somewhere. But it isn't always the same ports that go. And several times, the entire card has failed, leaving the system down completely with either blinking VM lights everywhere, or totally dead. The last failure was interesting: even though the 024-TDL failed completely, leaving the entire digital side of our system dead, the cards to the right kept working, so AA/VM and analog phones were still up. 024-TDL was replaced last week. Now I have 3 dead digitals again, slot 01 won't busy out, and I'm wondering if it's about to cascade through the whole system again...

Any thoughts on a possible cause of this constant failure of the same card in the same slot? Could it be a cabinet/slot failure? Could it be transient voltage from electrical storms (we're on the side of a mountain, so we get some impressive storms, and some of our wiring is overhead)? Any other thoughts?

WikiTech - I do appreciate your thoughts. We already have sneak fuses for several of the off-premises runs, but I don't think for all of them, and there is not fuse protection for any of the blocks running directly to the cards. I will investigate that option further. Unfortunately, we're just small enough that we don't have someone dedicated to operating and maintaining the phone system. It's one of about 6 departments on my plate, and not by any means the most critical. So I do appreciate the thoughts and advice, and as I can, I'll investigate further and try to implement your suggestions. Just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered, and all possible explanations explored. Thank you for your input.

Merlinman - you know, I've been careful with regard to difference in electrical potential when thinking about LAN work, but I guess it just never crossed my mind on the phone system (stupid me!). You may be onto something there. That said, I'm well aware that these systems were never designed for this kind of an application, but lots of ski resorts operate PBX systems across multiple locations. Some, I'm sure, have fiber runs now, but many do not. The ski industry falls somewhat in the "McGyver" category of getting things done, since our circumstances are rather unique (phones in lift buildings across hundreds of acres with mile+ runs, multiple base area buildings, remote maintenance shops, etc.). So I'll just keep plugging away to make this thing as reliable as possible under the circumstances. Might be able to get some capital funding for upgrades/improvements next summer.

Good luck.

If only you could lay your hands on some COPPER EMULATING Fiber stuff. Is there such a thing?

Once VERY long ago, when I was with AT&T a vendor came to the "HOTLINE" to demonstrate their FIBER OPTIC SECURE CONNECTION device that actually was successful in connecting ATL (the old Merlin Sets) from one place to another. The idea behind this was to put these FIber Extended ATL Sets in rooms that required ABSOLUTE SECRECY, that is, FIBER couln't be wire tapped.

Myself and another engineer told them something like; "Security, don't you realize you just invented the PERFECT IROB? (In Range Out of Building protector).

That suggestion was just like the Air Craft that Langley designed, it didn't fly. However, as long ago as that was, perhaps there is such a thing now. A bit of research may be required.

But again, GOOD LUCK!

Is there any chance that Magix units could be installed inside the remote buildings and networked back to the main building via fiber [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

MCK/CITEL extenders would let you use fiber to extend a TDL set - used on in a cable factory's testing lab. Needed to be completely electrically isolated for phones and computers, and electrical grid so they could test the insulation breakdown on high voltage distribution cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back