Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lose internet connection when "waking" computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rars222

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
US
I have a DSL modem and a Motorola 4-port wireless router. This machine is a wired connection and every time I wake it from sleep/suspend mode - I have to restart to enable the internet.

I have 2 other machines with wireless connections that do not have to be restarted. When they "wake" within a few seconds a notice comes on that the wireless connection is now connected.

Any ideas why I have to constantly restart the wired connection?

PS...I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 on the wired system. I would like to eventually network these computers to share files & printers, but was told the firewall in SP1 may be preventing me from being able to do so...

bcastner thank you for the information. I did try that before but it still takes a restart to refresh internet connection.

FYI I had a wired connection before via a 4 port linksys router and this wasn't an issue. It only started to happen when I upgraded to the motorola wireless router and only on the wired computer???

See if you can increase the default DHCP lease interval on the router.

so access the router settings using the IP address right? Hopefully I can remeber the darn password lol

You got it.

If have seen SOHO class routers that had by default a 10 minute lease time.

But be sure you have absolutely the latest and greatest driver for your NIC. I have had better luck using the OEM chipset vendor drivers (SiS, ADMTek, RealTEK, etc.) than the drivers offered by the OEM manufacturer of record (Dell, Gateway, D-Link, etc.)

You got it.

I have seen SOHO class routers that had by default a 10 minute lease time.

But be sure you have absolutely the latest and greatest driver for your NIC. I have had better luck using the OEM chipset vendor drivers (SiS, ADMTek, RealTEK, etc.) than the drivers offered by the OEM manufacturer of record (Dell, Gateway, D-Link, etc.)

Did you disable/enable the network connection before trying to restart the computer? That may be better than rebooting at least.

It also would not hurt you to update to SP2.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I do try to disable/enable prior to rebooting. It says it's working, but I can't get email or get online without rebooting. The disable/enable works fine for the wireless connection. Actually I just opt to repair if the connection is lost for any reason. I have yet to try to change the router settings...I will get to that. That makes more sense considering I didn't have any issues before changing out the router for wireless.

I am going to be upgrading to SP2. It's the prep that's holding me back. I go thru the "Security Tango" and almost get my machine all clean and then I have business to get to and need to start over. It's a pain to run adware/spyware/anitvirus & stinger all at the same time and have time to update and then get back to work! BUT I am sure once I do upgrade - issues will become non-issues!

You can check in device manager to see if power management is set to turn off the wireless adapter to save power.

The computer that has the issue is hardwired via cat5.

Sorry, I miss read your post but you may still want to check power management on you NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back