Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lose files through Access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxkid

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
I have users who complain they cannot save a file to a Novell server. On a Windows 2000 machine with WordPerfect 9 from the Office suite, the user is greeted with "Access denied: you do not have rights to do this." This does not happen with all files so it is extremely frustrating. The only option they have is to force close the program and lose the latest updates to the file.

Your help would be greatly apprectiated.

I have this exact same problem. Seems to only have surfaced recently. The only change that we have is the installation of Morton Internet Security 2001. I can't recall having this problem prior to that install. Don't know if it's realted to the NIS or not...

We've had the same problem with Version 9. What rights do the users have to the local machine? You might consider changing their rights to admin or to a more limited rights scheme, whichever it isn't now.

I have encountered problems with this "access denied" in the past. Unfortunately, I can't remember all I should about it. It is an example of the almost useless messages that Windows is riddled with. As I recall, the usual problem stems from something, like another program, having the file open at the time you try to do the SAVE. The problem has been finding what or which one. The text of the message might as well be "something's wrong" or something equally useless. At least that wouldn't confuse the issue.

I think that the problem may also arise if the file type is one that the program you are trying to save the file with does not know how to handle the file type specified by the SAVE.

I will try to dig up from my memory or somewhere what the conditions were the last time I had this problem. Right now, I can't come up with it. Maybe this will be of some help, however. Good Luck.

Herbc

I experienced the same error on a Win95 machine accessing a network drive on a NetWare 5 server. I updated Client32 from version 3.2 to version 3.32 sp1 and then it worked fine.

I experienced the same error on a Win95 machine accessing a network drive on a NetWare 5 server. I updated Client32 from version 3.2 to version 3.32 sp1 and then it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back