Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lose desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
I run adaware, spybot, hijack this on a regular basis. Still, the problem could be related to malware.

Anyway, now and again i lose my desktop. All i have is the color, no tray, no icons, nothing. Using task mgr i can sometimes get it all back, other times to no avail and i have to reboot.

Would anyone know why this is happening?

P4 2.4 w 1 gig ram
win xp pro w sp1 - dont trust sp2 yet
norton av
goback - i doubt goback has anything to do with this.
I do have a ton of progs & utils, i do keep the startup down to a minimum and i manually clean up regedit after uninstalls. I have checked the win xp FAQ here, dont seem to find anything related to this prob.

Thanks

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Go back to
Click on Search and on the resulting page enter the Event ID: 7001 and the correct Source ???????. This will bring up the basic information to enable you to troubleshoot, with various links on the page. This part of the site is free.

The very limited details of your Event Errors suggest perhaps some problem with various Services, it will be clearer if you supplied the Event I.D. together with the Source error and the description of the error.

To linney, yes, i did do that, but for some reason i seem to feel that it is saying there is more, but you cant get at it. I will try again.
Also, i did supply the event id plus the source error, in one case its: event viewer\application, and 5007.

thanks

To linney:
Not sure how you got to that page, but, again, i cant click on, say, number 5007, doesnt work, wants me to subscribe.

On the search page I tried:

Enter event id: i put 5007
enter event source: i alternately tried "application" and "event viewer"

Maybe i should have tried event viewer\application

Pardon me, i did, with trial and error, find it mentioned about zone alarm. And zone alarm does have the vector etc, so its likely tied to zone alarm.

I also got this from the above info:
Comments JL (Last update 2/16/2004):
I installed an updated version of ZoneAlarm Pro and each time I rebooted, all the settings were lost and had to be set again. This would happen after a clean install also. This was happening on a Win2k machine on which I made a tweak for a faster shutdown, modifying the "WaitToKillAppTimeout" key in the registry. After resetting this key to the original value (20000), ZoneAlarm worked fine.

Guido Elia (Last update 10/8/2003):
In my case this was due to a wrong configuration of Zone Alarm pro (previous network problems). Removing it and reinstalling solved the problem

end ................................

So it appears i may need to uninstall and re-install zone alarm pro for that one error message.

In system section its mostly lots of number 7001"

When you go to it will ask for two bits of information to be entered, one is the Event I.D. the other is the Source (I.D.). The Source is important information required to narrow down the search and can be found by clicking on any error in the Event Viewer.

An example of the information available in any error is -

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 19
Date: 7/02/2005
Time: 10:28:02 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: XXXXXX
Description:
Sharing printer failed + 1722, Printer hp deskjet 3500 series share name hp 3550.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Thanks

I did what you said and it came up again with the info about zonealarm pro again.
I just might try and update it first, if its not updated. If that doesnt work i will re-install it.

thanks

Well, i believe i found the culprit, and it was, no surprise, software. Novabackup. I will re-install and see if i can get it to behave better, or get an update first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back