Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOS/NOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVY247

Technical User
Oct 22, 2005
GB
We have 2 loggers currently presenting us with 240 channels, unfortunately some 50 of them are showing LOS/NOS which I am unable to change. I have checked the phones and cabling with known good channels successfully. Is there any other tests I can do or actions I can take.

Switch is Ericsson MD110.

Also have some that are showing continuous line activity and playing noise when monitored.

I have the call out with Nice awaiting their response but any ideas would be appriciated before me has to re jumper the lot and swap krone strips out.

try rebooting the loggers sometimes the dsp s/w gets corrupted.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

thanks for replying.

Sadly part of my tests involve a time sync and bring down the loggers to reset the time as they are woefully inaccurate. In the process of getting them linked to a more reliable source. But this weekend will require the action to happen again. Natural result of this is the tapes popping out and new ones replaced.

if you shutdown the loggers correctly the tapes will not require changing, but you'll have 2 sets of calls for a 1 hour period and at the weekend that doesn' really matter

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Always nervous shutting down the loggers, what I normally do is eject the tapes through Backup. Then once tapes out go to menu select shutdown then restart the logger. In the instance of this time I would go do something else for an hour and restart the logger after its passed. Hopefully all will be taught to me when I finally get to Southampton at end of November.

Thanks for responding, am in currently going through the channels prior to there response to the los/nos.

I am guessing you are using extension side recording?

About the LOS/NOS, is the impedance adaptor installed on the cable that is connected to the logger? There should be a 1.5m cable at your IDF and connected to this should be the impedance adaptor, then the cable that connects to you logger.

What is the distance between your PBX, Logger and phone?

To fix continuous recording, you may have to change the threshold in the channel setup (monitor app) to 49, I think it is now 39. Be careful, too high and the recording will not work all the time.

Yep extension side it is, all the kit is in one room on the 3rd floor with the exception of the phone which are at max on 15th floor. We did a quick test on the cables and the problem did appear to move with the cables. suggesting a cable fault. Currently Im in denial having been told that the krone strips would need replacing.

I did move the threshold to see when the noise would go and sadly it was up to 70. Out of interest is their a way of testing the cables.

Another thing I tried was to run a piece of jumper wire to the channel and the line and put a socket on the end. All was ok until I plugged the phone in. However I checked the phone on another good channel without a problem.

as always thanks for response

What version of logger are you using? Is it Digital or Analog extension side? I am very familiar with the NICE systems from Version 7.x through the new 9.x Perfom, so ask away!

NetechSys

Loggers are both digital, had to upgrade due to Xp.
Recording is extension side and total.
Software version is 8.8.

Ok, if it is a digital 8.8 Extension side logger, there are only a few items that could cause a LOS/NOS.

1. Stations are not connected to that port
2. Station is unpluged at the station side. (Digital signal needs to make round trip from the switch to the phone and back.)
3. Impediance adapter might be bad, but if it was good, it should not go bad.

If there are no phones connected to the logger, and will not have any connected for now, you can go into the NICE administration under the logger, and unconfigure the channels to stop the error showing up. (Move the extension from the right, configured, to the left, unconfigured under the channel tab.)

Its looking more and more like the fault could be with the nice cable to the krone strip. Based on the theory that its the only point that is being used. what I might do is swap one out seeing as I have approx 60 channels to play with. With regards to the line noise any views on that.

Ok, Here are a few things that catch my attention..

The loggers are onthe 3rd floor, and the stations are on the 15th floor.. So, using riser pairs, I would estimate the cable runs to be about 175' at a minimum to go from the 3rd to the 15th floor. With the addidition of any routing and MDF's in the middle,I would guess more like 225-250 + the cable from the MDF to the station snd the distance from the switch to the wallfield..

Are all the stations you are having problems with on the 15th floor? Are the working stations on lower floors? Maybe you are hitting a cable distance limitation. Another consideration is how far from the switch is the impediance adapter from the switch?

That being said, have you tried to change the Impediance adapter with a know good one? (The little Amphenol connector from the NICE cable on the krone blocks to the amphenol that feeds the logger?) Does it still follow the cable or the impediance adapter?

One quick test of the station blocks feeding the logger is to put a digital station in the switch room, and cress connect it to a bad port. This would eliminate the house wireing and distance.. If the logger still has problems with this station, then I would start looking at the terminations and the Impediance adapter.

Let me know.

The stations are currently on the 5th and 15th, I did do a crude test similiar to the one suggested hooked up a digital extn with a channel attached on the frame. the fault persisted. The location of the kit is all within 2-3feet off each other.
I believe that the fault follows with the cable. In all I think the points of failure are, Nata board, connector to cable, cable from logger, cable to frame, Krone strip, jumper wire, block wiring, Patch lead, patch cabling to desk and lastly the phone.

Don't tell NICE I suggested this but try temporarily taking the Impedance adaptor out of the equation. We've found for majority of our sites we haven't required them.

I've spoken to Nice and they are sending me some adapters to try. Moved the wire off the krone strip straight on to a socket with line with out success. Looks like the cable from the frame goes directly into the adapters on the loggers so points of failure reduced. Unusual thing is kinda guessing but it the channel has no telepone connected I would expect the LOS NOS status however have a channel that is showing OK. Beginning to wonder if I need Nice or a Priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back