Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looses Connection with Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquinn0908

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
I have a laptop that has XP and is connecting to a Win2000 server and while working a message will pop up saying that the computer has lost the connection with the server and has gone offline. As soon as you click on the icon I can syncronize and I can access my files so it never really goes offline. I have an desktop that is also running XP that this happens with and these are the only machines that do this. Why does this keep happening and how can I stop it?

I have the exact same problem. I can verify that it is not hardware specific, I have notebooks and even desktops (all mixed brands/clones) using offline files all periodically loosing connection.

I need that hotfix, does anyone have a pub ftp they can upload it to?

Micciarelli and others:

The description of the patch mentions only security issues, but the effect is much broader in changing files open/save, etc. type errors as the earlier messages in this thread discussed.

This link is current as of 4/28/03

Thanks bcastner

This fix I have installed thru online update !! Nothing that was installed thru online update have solved my problems ;-))

Only this hotfix KB810907 helped me -> not official released, so you can not download it at this time (it is not 100% verified by MS).

cheers
Mucciarelli

XP Pro SP1

I have offline folders enabled and throughout the day, it says it's offline but it is still connected to the network. Is there a fix for this that I can download yet? I looked on MS site but I couldn't find anything.

There doesn't seem to be a fix and I'm not sure if Microsoft is even aware of any of these issues.

I have now discovered a problem with Offline files where users can't delete their "My Documents" files if they are setup to be synchronized. It's weird because if you disconnect the network cable the files can all of a sudden be deleted. As soon as you reconnect the network cable you get an error message stating that the files are in use, when you try to delete them.

Niall

For wireless issues discussed above:

1. Follow the remedies suggested for all XP clients in my post above;

2. If you do not provide RADIUS authentication, disable 802.1x authentication on the client.

3. If you do not have both an Access Point that supports WPA in Firmware and a driver for the adapter that supports WPA, remove the WPA Hotfix.

4. Upgrade the firmware for the wireless router /Access Point

5. Upgrade the driver firmware for the adapter.

And see these:

Wireless Network Adapter Intermittently Loses Its Connection to the Server:

302088 - Wireless Network Adapters May Lose Connectivity When They Appear to Be Functioning

324024 - Wireless Network Adapter Appears as Disconnected

The troubleshooter for Wireless:

The above link is for wireless adapters. I looked in MS article 810907 but it says that I have to contact MS to obtain the fix. Is there anyway I can obtain this fix without contacting MS?

I updated the W2K server with SP4 and updated clients with Q328310 and so far, no connection losses.

I got it to work now!!! finally after 4 months.

I disable 802.1x authentication on the XP pro clients.
I removed the XP built in firewall.
I updated to SP4 on the server. (I found a HUGE problem with server pack 4 with single domain names and having multiple DC's) Apparently MS doesn't like this and never documented it, as the MS help support guy told me. after giving them $245 for support.
I reconfigured DNS to use the DC as the DNS server ONLY!!

Happy DAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back