Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loopback Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinku1980

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
IN
Hi there,

Can anyone over there can give the complete details about the "Loopback Address". Need it really urgently.

"Loopback Address" in google will tell you just about anything you could possibly want to know about this.

And probably a lot more.

it's used for diagnostics, generally speaking....on routers is server a different function, ie. Asynch, etc..

Google is the way to go.

Too much information to give in one paragraph

i tried out google. NBut i was unable to find any such information about the loopback address. Actually i need to know what are the chances of a machine going in a loopback address.

Can we take any precautions to avoid a machine going in a loopback address.

A loopback address is really only there for testing purpose. I'm not quite what you are trying to stop.

Why would your computer utilise the loopback address in the first place?

The Loopback address 127.0.0.1 or localhost tests the functions of the NIC controller chipset. It does not test the Port function. For that you would need a loopback adaptor.

As for the NIC 'going into' the loopback address, I assume that you mean the NIC having the 127.0.0.1 address assigned to it, effectively removing itself from the network.

The loopback address is a reserved address and cannot be assigned by normal means. So it is an unlikely event to occur under normal operations. Note I do not say impossible. but it would take a direct effort to achive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back