Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loop through a csv from the second line

Status
Not open for further replies.

critical5

Programmer
Dec 13, 2006
GB
Hi,

I am trying to loop through a csv file wich comes with column headers but the trciky part is some of the headers(1 or 2) are missing and I have no control over how it comes back. Is there anyway that I can skip or replace that header with a decent title?

The end product needs to be inserted into a MySql database using coldfusion 7. The file will be like this:

Name, surname,,(missing header)DOB
Richard,Patey,Mr,01/01/1975

When I loop like this

<cfloop index="i" list="#fileContent#" delimiters="#chr(10)##chr(13)#">
<cfquery name="importcsv" datasource="#request.dsn#">
INSERT INTO results(REFERENCE, FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, TITLE ,DOB)
VALUES
('#listgetAt('#i#',1)#',
'#listgetAt('#i#',2)#',
'#listgetAt('#i#',3)#',
'#listgetAt('#i#',4)#',
)
</cfquery>
</cfloop>

The above code errors: "Invalid list index 2" but works okay if I populate the blank with something or just remove the columns headers.

I am reading this csv file from the server using <cffile> - is there anyway I can know how many lines there are in a csv file? Then I can loop from line 2?
Hoping that I make sense - could someone help please.

Thanks

can i ask why you're doing this with coldfusion?

why not just load the csv with mysql's LOAD DATA INFILE command? you can even use the IGNORE 1 LINES option to skip over the header

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

Hi r937,

thanks for the reply. The reason is the users will be performing this task and I do not think they can use LOAD DATA INFILE command - we are talking about basic users. so if I could get coldfusion to purify the data and then store it it would save us from manual repetitive job which could be done repetitively through the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back