Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loop Start Supervision & POTS Lines Run Outside of PBX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGigs

Technical User
Nov 5, 2006
US
Hello to All,

Basic question. If I have ten regular POTS lines that have loop-start supervision, is it likely that they are running independently from the PBX? We are running a Nortel Meridian PBX with 3 PRI's and I think they are the only interconnect to the PBX.

This may not be enough information but I thought I'd ask.

I'd ask the PBX vendor to check into it but they are currently incommunicado!

Thanks for any input.

NewGigs

Are they truly POTS lines, or simply analog lines out of the PBX? Are you talking about OPX lines? If you post some more information, I might be able to assist.

"If it can't be fixed, johnthephoneguy broke it

Thanks ATeam,

The carrier's tech rep told me that they are POTS lines but he said only the PBX vendor could know for sure if they are terminated at the PBX. Problem is the PBX vendor isn't available for me to ask (long story).

Anyway, most of these lines are billed as flat rate with a few as message rate.

I don't know if they are OPX lines or not. I wish I had more information.

Thanks....

LD 20
REQ PRT
TYPE COT
return
return

See if this prints out any Trunk TNB info.

LD 21
REQ PRT
TYPE RLB
return
return

Post the info you get here and then we will beable to help you.

if you can get on the line with a butt set. dial 0, that will at least tell you if that are analog lines from the pbx. on the bill do you at least have the number.. when you dial it who answers? if they term on an analog cards they should ring to a ext.. another way, other then the ltm in 21 is to go to 20 and prt cot.. you would have to have analog trunks as start type lop.. they could be programed as wat but usually they were cot's

another point is having msg service on the bill would seem to rule pbx trunks out..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

if you can get on the line with a butt set. dial 0, that will tell you if that are analog lines from the pbx. on the bill do you at least have the number.. when you dial it who answers? if they term on an analog cards they should ring to a ext.. another way, other then the ltm in 21 is to go to 20 and prt cot.. you would have to have analog trunks as start type lop.. they could be programed as wat but usually they were cot's

another point is having msg service on the bill would seem to rule pbx trunks out..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for your responses. I'll be checking into it....

Well, the easiest way to tell whether they TERMINATE at the PBX is to physically trace the cross-connect wires. If they originate on the carrier frame, and terminate on an analog port OR a trunk port on the PBX, well then there you are. They terminate at the PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back