Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loop-Shelf-Card-Port.....What is Loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasitek

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
US
I don't understand what the "loop" is in the TN number of loop-shelf-card-port. I get the part about shelf, card and port. but not "loop" I'm guessing its nothing I can "see". Someone please explain? Thanks.

You have 16 loops per network shelf and 32 per Group, for example Group 0 Shelf 0 are loops 0-15 and Group 0 Shelf 1 are loops 16-31, so loop comes from its physical placement in your Network Shelf.(card slot)

acewarlock: I have an Opt.81 Rls 25.40 with MerMail.
riptech: You are telling me I can "touch a loop"? I have Superloops. What exactly are they?

In an Option 81 a Superloop is usually just 1 Modual/shelf, in the older Nortel PBX's you could have up to 4 Shelves in 1 Loop. So that would be shelf 0, 1, 2, 3. In your switch It should be marked on the switch on the lower right side of each Modual/shelf with LOOP_SHELF_. In the commom equip shelf you have LOOP cards that connect to the Superloops.

Hope this helps

A Superloop is a loop made up of four regular loops, if you notice on your shelf the numbering has supl on it (by the card slot numbers). When you program a Superloop you use the talk slots of four loops thats why next to a Superloop you may not have another Superloop card or a ENET card by you can use a MSDL or QPC841 card next to a Superloop card.
In load 97 is where you program Superloops. A Superloop 4 would use up loops 4,5,6,7 and can be placed in either slot that these loops would occupy, this is defined in ld 97. Go to ld 97
req= prt
type= supl
and return the rest of the way.

This might give you an idea on how your loops are define.
Hope this helps.

sorry acewarlock I'm still not getting the concept.

A SUPERLOOP is a Modual ie: when you take a door off the switch, that is a modual.

In the modual is power supply and a SHELF.

In a SHELF there are CARDS.

On the CARDS there are UNITS.

So go over to your PBX open the CABINET door that is at eye level, behind this door is a MODUAL with a power supply on the left. to the right is a SHELT with CARDS in it.

Is this a little clearer, if not open the NTP's Engineering Manual and start reading.

Superloop is a card - NT8D04xx it says NET on the faceplate and is located in your common equipment shelves as mentioned. There is a physical cable that connect to the IPE controller card. You can have up to 4 superloops connected to 1 IPE or as little as 1 superloop connected to 2 IPEs.
A superloop as mentioned provides 128 time slots. 1 Superloop card will support 128 simultaneous conversations. if you have one superloop connected to two IPEs, out of the total 512 possible ports only 128 could be used simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back