Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looong program/app install times, possible hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamchi

Technical User
Jul 8, 2002
US
I recently upgraded my computer with a GeForce4 4200,a new Maxtor 7200rpm 40gig HD, and an Audigy Gamer sound card(added to my current Athlon XP 1600 and 512 DDR).

I installed Win98 on the new drive no problem...but when I go to install a game or other large application, the installation will take an incredibly long time. The installation starts out fine, but around one third into the installation it slows to a crawl. I tried installing a 2 disc game and I guessed at the rate it was going it would take over one hour(That's when I noticed something was definitely wrong).

Has anyone experienced this problem or know any cause? I have the current drivers for my CD-ROM. The only thing I can see wrong with my system is the dinky 250w power supply, but I'm not sure if the above problem is a symptom.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Power supply should really be a go-no-go issue it shouldn't effect install times.
If you continue the install does it continue to the end slow or does it speed up again?
As the HDD is new (fingers crossed it's not a dud) Does the CD rom work ok for say reading or copying disks,
As you have 512 ram I would be looking at CD and HDD as the main speed issues for loading.
Good Luck

CD Rom reads fine, I can listen to CDs, play games, etc.
The installation continues slow until the end. Going to try and find a HD to swap in and try, but until then I don't know what to do.

Do you have your cdrom and HD seperated on the IDE channels? Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back