Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup value based on another table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spenello

MIS
Jul 11, 2005
US
Oracle 10g and CR10
There are two tables, table1 with a field named ot_shift_cd and table2 with a field named shift_cd. Both are number fields.

The report currently displays "No Shift Code" if the ot_shift_cd in table1 is null. However, I'm out of ideas on how to return a string value (something like "Shift Code Invalid") in the report, when the ot_shift_cd in table1 doesn't match any code values in table2.

How are the two tables linked? From what table to what table, and with what kind of join? Can you show some sample data?

-LB

Tables are linked by shift_cd. There are also other fields in both, but are not relevant. Unfortunately, there is no referential integrity.
table1 (Employee_Detail) table2(Shift)
shift_cd ot_shift_cd shift_cd
1 0 1
2 2
1 6 3
4 23 4
3 3 5
6 1 6

So, the report should look like this:
ot_shift_cd
Not Valid Shift
No Shift Code
Not Valid Shift

To determine whether the ot_shift_cd was valid or not, you would have to link table2 to table1 with a left join from [red]table1.ot_shift_cd[/red] to table2.shift_cd. Then you could use a formula like this:

if isnull({table1.ot_shift_cd}) then
"No Shift Code" else
if isnull({table2.shift_cd} then
"Invalid Shift Code" else
{table1.ot_shift_cd}

-LB

The tables are linked in the stored procedure with a left outer join.

The script works great for nulls. But, the report also needs to check for invalid codes. (EX: ot_shift_cd 0 is not null but is invalid).

You have not indicated which tables are linked. If linked as I suggested, then the formula should work to determine whether codes are invalid or missing.

-LB

This worked:
if isnull({table1.ot_shift_cd}) then
"No Shift Code" else
if {table1.ot_shift_cd} in[1,2,3,4,5,6] then
totext({table1.ot_shift_cd}), 0) else
"Invalid Shift Code"

I guess my real question should be how to make the script work dynamically? (i.e. instead of hard coded values 1-6, have the values based on table2.shift_cd.)

I already showed you. You didn't clarify your links, so if the stored procedure isn't linked correctly for this purpose, maybe you need to see about changing it.

-LB

That seems to be the right track.

The tables were linked:
table1.SHIFT_CD = table2.SHIFT_CD (+)

The tables are now linked:
table1.OT_SHIFT_CD = table2.SHIFT_CD (+)

Thanks for sticking with it lbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back