Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup tbl value based on variable set on form

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjLiteStep

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
CA
by way of a form, i obtain a string(strField) value equal to the field name (i.e. [MemNoBook]) in a lookup table ([tblCourseFees]) ... i need to find the value of this field based on the [recordID] in the table. the table is in the open database, but is not open itself.
i don't understand the structure to access this table information
appreciating any suggestions

cj

Hi cj,
What you should probably use is the "Dlookup" Function:

= DLookup("[MemNoBook]", "tblCourseFees", "[RecordID] = Forms![NameOfForm]![YourFieldRecordID]")

Poor example however hit F1 and search Accesshelp for lots more! Gord
ghubbell@total.net

that looks like the ticket alright
thanks gord

Gord
Hope you saw the posting on the reports forum.

I saw your 'Dlookup' solution here and it just reminded me of a problem I had faced.
I have to get multiple fields out of a table to update labels in a form. I do the 'dlookup' business about sixtimes in every record for six fields.
Is there a better and faster method such as getting the whole record out and then updating the fields in the form ?
Thanks
Tigi

Hi Tigi, you thru this in just to stall me on a solution for that other devil right?! If you're updating labels on a form for a language change or other, or if its text fields, I usually make some sort of VB function that can handle the chore. This is assuming all the fields are from the same table: Yes, pull the whole record. Let me know if you need an example... If you have to go and poke at 6 different tables, I don't believe you would be better off with anything other than "Domain Aggregate Functions"... Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Hi Gord
No,no, any case you've given me a fast solution to the top value problem.
As for this, its not 6 tables, rather 6 fields in a table. I pull them out one by one using dlookup 6 times.
Its like this.
I have a table 't1' with daily data. I open up a form which has a different table 't2' as source. t2 is to be updated on some fields from 't1'. So i look around for a particurlar item in 't1' using the dlookup. when found , its current status and 5 other fields are to be taken out for updating.
problem is
The table to 'dlookup' is huge(50,000+). Is there a faster way to get the 6 values out in one go than 'dlookup' sixtimes?
sure this will not require helmets and aspirins for you (me , maybe yes) !
I'd very much like to have your example.
Thanks
Tigi
tigilal@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back