Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup from Flat File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbackstrom

Programmer
Jun 19, 2003
US
Is it possible to do a lookup from a flat file (e.g. I would cache the contents of the flat file and do the lookup into it)? Seems like it should be but from doc and the lookup transformation creator, doesn't look like it. The Import requires ODBC, and Source browsers only pick up the database sources.

Thanks.

IMHO this would not work. You would be able to cache a flatfile perhaps, but how would you go about adressing the proper 'columns'. There is no real structure there, just a comma or semi-colon separated string of values. How to fetch a value from such a string without having an identity for a column?

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Which version are you on???? Ver 7.x has what you are looking out for????

Sri

Yes just this morning I saw the 7.0 webcast. Guess I'll catch it if/when we upgrade. Thanks.

Hi,
There is no option to have "lookup" on a flat file in 5x, 6x...BUT...we can have an alternate way to achieve the functionality.
What u can do is to have the flat file as another source and perform a join between your original source and the FF using a joiner transformation (based on the key on which you wanted to do the "lookup"). So you will have the rows from the flat file satisfying your criteria. Now you are a free man to do whatever you wanna do with these rows...

i hope it helps.

Anant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back