Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup field with "write-in" choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivasuzi

Programmer
Jun 14, 2002
Hello!

I use sharepoint a lot at work, and it gave me this idea - but I can't seem to quite work it out, so any help is great!

Here's the idea:

I have a table with fields as follows-

Songs | Artist | CD | ..etc.....

I have a form to fill in this table.

I would like the form to get all the options out of "Artist" for the user to choose from, BUT also allow them to "write-in" a choice if it's not in the list.

So this isn't really a lookup field, it's a text field, but the form will "lookup" the artists so that if it's already been entered you won't have to enter it again.

Sharepoint makes it look like this: (o = radio button)

o Choose an artist: [lookup of previously entered artist]
OR
o Write in an artist: ____write whatever you want_____

Then it just puts the either the choice or the write-in answer into the text box.
-------------------------------------

I hope that makes sense! I would like to duplicate this action in my MS Access form. It will really make my life easier. I'm just not quite sure how to go about it. Thanks for your help!

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Suzanne,

I'd use a combobox with the property "Not In List" set to "NO"
If the name's already in the table, the combobox will self- fill in as you type. If it's not, you can fill in a new artist name and thus add it to the table.

Hope this helps!

The Missinglinq

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks for your suggestion, however I just realized that the whole reason I was making this was to put online, so I can just use ASP code to simulate what I want. Thanks anyway!

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back