Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looks for Disk in Drive A when booting NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramhead

MIS
Dec 21, 1999
US
I have a Windows NT workstation that brings up the message "there is no disk in drive A" just before logging on to the network. If you hit ignore, it will continue on with the log-on process. There's nothing in the start-up folder(s), registry run key or path that refers to drive A. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe it's trying to log on using Dial up networking and getting confused...<br>
Is the Log on using Dial up networking box checked.<br>
<br>
What about the BIOS settings of the machine.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p> DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

RAS isn't installed on the desktop. The boot sequence order is A then C in the BIOS. It's asking for the disk in drive A after it's gone through the booting process (I should have worded my subject differently). Thanks.

Are you logging on to a network? Check the path for the logon script in user manager for the affected user profiles.

Here are 3 things you could look at.<br>
<br>
Look at the path statement in the C:\autoexec.bat file (if any) and see if a path is set to drive A:.<br>
<br>
Do you get a Event failed to start error also?? If so check your event viewer for messages. <br>
<br>
Open Control Panel , Services. Look for any service that was installed from a floppy disk.<br>
<br>
If none if these fix it, That was my 2 cents worth.<br>
<br>

There's nothing in autoexec.bat and nothing in the event viewer. Thanks, anyway, for your 2-cents worth.

Have you tried to put a disk IN the A: drive to see if there is a differant error returned, perhaps cluing you into what service or whatever is trying to run? (such as inetdde.ddl not found on drive A:) <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back