Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to purchase a STK library

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren77uk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2001
CA
Hi there,

Just wanted peoples opinions on what is better a StorageTek or Overland?

I am looking at the Neo4000 series and the SL500
Neo8000 and the L180.

Anyone got comments, comparisons etc?

Regards,
Darren

I don't know anything about Overland, but the StorageTek L-series is very very good.

If you compare the SL500 to L180 you must remember that the LS500 is a "LTO only" library. If you need or want anything else go for the L-series.
You can get a used L180 for less then USD 20.000 and a L700 for less then USD 30.000 if I remember right. And if you get a service contract from StorageTek the L-series libraries will serve you for years to come.
Basicly the L180 and L700 are the same type of library. Main difference is the footprint, number of tapeslots and the L180 can support 10 drives (only 6 if using STK9840 or STK9940) and the L700 can have 20 drives (12 of the 9x40 drives)

I even think the L-series have a faster tape-to-drive time then the SL500. It is around 4 sec on the L-series.

/johnny

Johnny,

Thank you. We are moving to LTO Gen 3 technology as it is WORM capable down the road. But in terms of durablity I have heard the StorageTek libraries are great. Problem is that we are being offered a Neo8000 Overland Library and was wondering if anyone had any input on those libraries and the company itself. I want something robust and that will perform long term.

Any other advice you may have would be great.

We are looking to purchase a brandnew unit.

Thanks,
Darren

I don't know much about LTO since I have been so lucky to be able to go for the STK9940B drives. I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

I have read a little about the Neo8000 at and I am just thinking why the don't say anything about the library performance at all. Only information on how many slots and drives it can take.
I would like to know something at about MTBF, MTTR, mean time from cell to tapedrive and stuff like that. This you can find on the L700e at
Also check out what kind of service you can get. We have a 24/7/365 with 2 hours responsetime with StorageTek.

And if the library cost is an issue, buy a used STK L700e. And You should have no problem getting StorageTek to give you a service contract on it.

I would not run a tapelibrary in production without a service contract.

/johnny

Overland as a whole is not good with support and dont like to call customers back.

I have done tons of work with both venders and will say that StorageTek is much more reliable and the service/support is fantastic.

Have you looked into the IBM storage libraries? Somewhat pricey but VERY good performance and support

Great, I was having doubts about the Overland libraries and everyone seems to have confirmed that. I have settled on purchasing the STK SL500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back