Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to Implement Exchange Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rspencer

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2000
US
Hello,

We are looking at implementing an Exchange Server in house for an office of 80 people. Does anyone have any specs on the required hardware for X amount of people?

Thanks

Am I also correct in assuming that since this is a new install we will have to go with Exchange 2000 which must run on Windows 2000?

You can still buy NT4 and Exchange 5.5.

It depends entirely on you which you go for.

80 people is easy. Single server, Pentium II 400 will cope fine, 256MB RAM is ok, more if poss. Suggest at least a 4GB data disk for the database (2GB for the data and another 2GB for expansion).

100Mb netcard at least. TCPIP as the only protocol (unless you are running Macs there), DNS to help outgoing mail, 2 net cards for security (one on the Net, one internal) unless you have a firewall. It should be a domain controller.

NT service pack 6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4 or Windows 2000 SP1 and Exchange 2000 (has this had a SP yet?). Your choice.

Thanks for the response. We are currently running a POP3 server on our DMZ. We are looking to implement Exchange for upcoming projects that will depend on it being in place. I guess purchasing Exchange 5.5 would be the easiest direction to go due to existing NT domain model.

We currently are running a PII 266 w/128 meg of ram for approximately 150 users and it's having some major problems. It's 3 years old, so it's battled well, but an upgrade is needed soon. If you plan on this being a long-term server, buy as much as you can afford. That way you won't have to upgrade every six months.

I was given a project to compare Lotus Notes and MS Exchange.

This is for 3000 - 5000 users. A gov. office

Can anyone tell me where to begin. Where can i find answers related to the two application on:

Virus Protection
Bandwidth requirements
Ease of use
Web base or ?
Active Directory
Cost/ license
Platform
Calendaring
Address book
ETC, ETC.

Cornell Dyce
cornelldyce@yahoo.com