Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to buy athalon and mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

Programmer
May 20, 1999
CA
I am looking around to buy an atholon and an mobo. What would be the best mobo to buy. As far as the atholon goes I am looking for it to be around 750 Mhz. Any suggestions, websites on direct comparisons etc. would be appreciated.<br><br>Thanks <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Karl.. I am a holding on to this bad boy.. ya think it will be worth a fortune one day?? LOL Oh.. and after re-reading your post above describing your system I must add that I am finally getting my cable internet service
hapsunglass.gif
YAY!! [sig]<p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:ledzep@isot.com>ledzep@isot.com</a><br>I am just an old Paratrooper and an avid hardcore gamer too which is gonna get me divorced =) I do not know C++ or any of that other stuff due to being in the Army for 14 years and am too lazy after long houred days to learn.[/sig]

It's easy to get Cable here for Consummers, but my company been waiting a long time to hear back from them about the business services, I guess they dont quite have the Static always-on thing working quite yet. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

I wonder with the great speeds on processors now, why overclock at all?
I could easily overclock my 750mhz to 800, but why? There is simply no need where as with the older slower chips overclocking helped a great deal. Why reduce the life of your processors when you don't have to?

[sig]<p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@netadvances.com>jsauce@netadvances.com</a><br> [/sig]

2 common answers you'll get are
&quot;Why Not?&quot;
and
&quot;I want to get the most out of my money&quot;
(in otherwords, instead of paying 100$ or more for a faster CPU, why not overclock it to that speed if you can keep it stable)

as far as the life of the CPU, even overclocked(and kept cool at that) it wouldnt take more than a couple years for that CPU to be completely obselete. especially at the rate we are going now, most people are looking for the most &quot;bangs for the bucks&quot; one way to acheive this is through overclocking. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back