Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to buy a new computer. Looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought and HP Computer from CompUSA and am very happy with it. HP gives really good support if needed so far I have had not a single problem.

I'm sure it's a very good PC if you want a mini ATX based system with integrated graphics, weak power supply and limited upgradeability.
Let me explain, this PC is based on relatively new technology and is using the current best integrated mainboard but you need to understand it's a mass produced unit built for cheapness and so made to be "jack of all trades and master of none" perfect if thats what you want, personally I would go custom build and cherry pick the best parts within my budget but then it's easy for me,I do custom build for a living.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Yes you can take this path and spend lots of time trying to get help getting all the custom parts to work togather. I sure remember doing just this many times. All computer parts are mass produced. What some have over others is slick marketing aimed at getting people stupid enough to spend lots of money thinking they are getting the cutting edge computer stuff. Just spend some time reading in the computer forums all the people looking for help getting their custom built computers working. I stand by my posting the HP computer I bought at CompUSA took home and had up and running in about one hour was the best computer I have ever owned. Anyway everyone can do as they feel best spend what they can. But I still feel just buying a nice factory built and tested computer with support that you can call for help is the best way for most to go.

I totally agree with you riverider, the HP would be the best way for most people to go but then we are not most people, we are computer professionals and so know there are better alternatives for the price, for those that are knowledgable about such things.
Agreed the HP might give you a warm fluffy feeling of security knowing you have all that backup and support and I would probably go and recommend such a machine to a novice first timer but we are all computer professionals on this site.

Custom build isn't for everyone admittedly, but I would hardly call people who go that route stupid or that they have been manipulated by marketing, after all computer professionals can surly tell the difference between pure marketting hype and real techniological advancement, can't they?

All I'm saying is custom build can be a viable alternative for the better informed computer user.

Martin

Deluxe2481 did not seem to be a computer professional if he is I must have missed something. I just thought from the post and the BestBuy computer he was thinking about buying that he was someone just looking for a simple system that would not give a lot of problems.

From reading the computer forums a lot of people are using their computers for playing games. I admit they have special needs. But Deluxe2481 did not seem to be loking for a game machine.

I bought the M7590n
I have not found any normal computing thing it can't do and do without problems. I was able to install many of my old Win95/98se type programs and they work great under the WindowsXP Media Edt. SP2 that comes installed. It's a quality system I would put it up against other custom systems costing hundreds more. HP also has other systems costing much less then the one I bought and they also will
work very well for a normal user.

Look for 64 bit/ Vista capability, or else buy something cheap to hold you over...

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade $90.00 (Windows 98 full version required for installation)
80gb 7,200 rpm hard drive $80.00
GeForce MX4000 128mb PCI video card $60.00
512mb RAM (2 sticks of 256 at $35.00 each) $70.00
CD/DVD ROM Burner $65.00

Here you're already at $365.00. You can by a Wal-Mart Compaq for $365.00. No monitor.

If you take the above list and want to build your own, you still don't have a computer case, motherboard, processor, fans, floppy drive, power supply, keyboard, monitor, and mouse. Don't forget about the software that comes pre-loaded on most computers, such as word processing, and digital photo software. You'll have at least $150.00 in that!

If you are looking to surf the Internet, send e-mails, conduct some online banking, play video games, and do some word processing, the off-the-shelf computer is the way to go.

You'll have customer service, too. This is a big plus, especially when you knock it over onto its side and it won't start.

I've noticed that printed on some computer boxes it says "Vista Capable." Like David said, look for things like that. Then you'll be set for a few years.

Just my thoughts.

Kemisco

-----

Take your computer outdoors when blowing out the dust; it's mostly skin dust. A clean computer is a cool computer.

You know, after years of building my own computer, when it came time to do something with my old one again, I said "to heck with it" and bought a Dell.

I told the wife, "Just think.... for 3 years, someone ELSE can fix my computer!" <LOL>

It's like "Yes, I can change my own oil in my car, or I can stay clean, have it done in 18 minutes at JiffyLube".

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

riverider quote:
"Deluxe2481 did not seem to be a computer professional if he is I must have missed something"
With repect, look at the top left hand side of the page, I quote:
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS

It is assumed by the very nature of this forum that ALL are computer professionals in some way or another, so please forgive me for taking that fact for granted when I addressed Deluxe2481 question.

Deluxe2481 is logged as a vendor so this bares out my assumption.

Going back to the question, as I said earlier, Nvidia's 6150 series is best in field of integrated solutions so is a good bet and if you want ready built this looks to be a good all round package.

Martin

Well I hope Deluxe2481 has the Info. needed to make a good decision on getting the new computer system.

Thank you guys for repling. I appreciate it very much and it is helping me make a decsion.

If you want a PC to behave like it was sealed for life, buy a DELL, I use a dell desktop, dell laptop and am surrounded by Dells which seem to go through life not kicking up a fuss....

If you want to take a walk on the wilder side build one yourself ( done that 5 times since 1994) but you won't get the support you get buying a prebuilt (nor share in the low price from the fact THEY buy motherboards a grillion at a time)

Remember to add the cost of an operating system to your DIY build

John

We've got about 100 Dell desktops and have been very pleased with the older Optiplex GX200, 240, and 260. However, we've had hell with the GX270 and 280 models.

That being said, I bought a refurbished GX270 for home and have been pleased with it. Not the fastest, but I don't game much.

Deluxe2481:
I would also think about waiting, if you can, until the end of August/beginning of Sept. Why? School and colleges will be back in session and computer deals should be fairly good.

OTOH, what experience do you have buildng pc's???? If you don't have any or very little, building a pc can be very frustrating. Esp. after you get everything togather, turn the power on and nothing happens.

The machine you looked at seems ok. I would want to double the memory in it. A disadvantage is that the video is onboard, meaning your memory is shared to run the video. Maybe no big deal, depending on what you want to do. Plus it looks like you will need a monitor for it. I would say, keep looking. Deals are bound to get better. (I'm in the Phoenix area. Best Buy has a sale on a similiar computer - with 2Gigs of Ram, AND a 17" LCD monitor - for less than $900!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back