Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to add drive letter 2 new Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwngflies

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
First: specs...WinXP pro SP2, Zone Alarm FW/AV, Avast home ed. AV, all recent updates to BIOS, and Windows updates current.
I added a SATA drive to my system, and partitioned it into to drives: D: and E: Now, I re-sized my E: down and added another drive, and named it H: So, that gives me three volumes on the one SATA. It shows as online,and healthy,(in Disk Mngmt), but it doesn't show up in "My Computer". Both the D: and E: drives are present.
When I first installed the SATA, I remember going to a window that let me choose which letters to be enabled to assign to drives,(ie: A:,B:,...Z:) At that time, I didn't need more, and un-checked those that weren't being used. Now I need H: and I cannot remember how to return to that window. I have checked all through Disk Mngmnt, and Control Panel, and cannot find my way back.
Can someone please help me retrieve the route to follow to find this window?

At that time, I didn't need more, and un-checked those that weren't being used."

How did you do this in XP, or did you use something like TweakUI to hide them?

Anyway you might want to look at using Tweak UI from the XP powertools. Using this might allow you to simply check the drives you want to see under XP, although I'm not sure about this.

Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP

How to create and use NTFS mounted drives in Windows XP

I already added the volume, labeled it H: and it shows in device mngr., and in Disk Mngmt. And in My Comp if I log into safe mode as Admin.
I have admin status, and am only user, I just don't understand why I cannot find it again.
I did have TweakUI installed Prior to formatting everything before last WinXP install, before adding SATA. But never really used it. I'll try to dnld TUI and see if it contains what I was mentioning.
Thanks for reply. Still searchin'.

Have you checked in Group Policy to see if any drives have been hidden, although that would be an all or nothing setting and hard to fit with your display? You could try setting it to "Do not restrict any drives" and see if that helps?

User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Windows Components/ Windows Explorer.

In Safe Mode, are the Security Permissions on H different from the normally visible drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back