Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking into replacing the CS1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joesims747

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2017
US
So, I don't even know where to start, as I don't want to go directly to vendors without due diligence in research, and I've always found this site to be a ffkking holy grail of knowledge in regards to problems that I've come across on my CS1000; always been able to be pointed in the right direction if another technician's problem is merely similar to mine.

So, I need to be pointed in the right direction, and I'm sure there other posts for changing out from old faithful... but with how much copper we're unwilling to remove, I need to know what newer options that have a promising supported foreseeable future there are.

We have 3 remote locations that connect to the main system, need Hospitality (to replace HMS,) Call Accounting, Call Tree/VMail etc, call recording (currently we're using RevCord for the lines that need to be recorded)

Has anyone known any systems that can adopt the old infrastructure as well? Would like to keep the Amphenols and wiring all the same... with a lot of the stuff we're using going to defunct, the powers that be have determined it is time to rip and remove. I just don't want us getting ripped off.

It's weird, all I've ever known was Nortel/Avaya.

Being a Hospital doesn't make this any easier for you as you have a phone system that does it's job OK and has done so for a long time and just because support is ending or has finished that you find that it needs replacing.

You could of course still upgrade it to CS1000e 7.6 and keep a hybrid mixture of IP and TDM because these days having a whole setup on IP can be nasty if a virus gets into it and cause havoc.

Whilst we previously had fixed points (end to end links), we had a certain amount of control but one unsecured Ethernet cable can do great damage. Security is vital, but the goal posts are always moving and greater threats are always going to happen.

In fairness, those customers I know who have ditched their cubes, are looking at it for different reasons,

Saving electricity and gaining more free space where the Meridian Cubes were positioned has been some of their plans and having remote servers in different locations. Time saved on wiring faults, Patching / Wiring panels, also springs to mind and after all we live in an "plug and play" age.

Best of luck with moving forward.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Not an easy task. It seems like you are looking to retain the TDM platform. Again, not an easy task given the march to IP everything these days. The NEC platform has served your stated needs well for a number of years, and has never been bought out or filed for chapter 11. I'm sure that Mitel and Avaya have similar systems that meet your needs. My best advice is to come up with what you want/need in an RFP and let the vendors fight it out. Keeping the same infrastructure is not too difficult since any amphenol can have a conversion cable (M-F, 90 to 180, etc.). You also need to consider the age of each peripheral device and if they need to be updated/replaced as well. PC based devices run on HDD's that over time may need to be addressed. You might consider a mix of TDM and IP.

We're on 7.6, the problem is literally all the software we use is end of life or no longer supported.

Do you know anything about E-MetroTel? It seems they can use the card system and shelves from the Nortel equipment, which tbh cuts the probably extensive labor costs doing a total rip and replace. (Clearing room up would be nice, but not totally required given the nature of still running copper everywhere that we simply can't change given our scope.) Even supports the 1100 series VOIP phones which are decent enough and a dime a dozen.

Does NEC play easily from Nortel's 16 slot system? We really, really want to minimize having to mess with the cross connect in any way. It's a monster.

The NEC SV9500 station circuit cards are 16 ports. It seems to me that if you are going to keep the old circuit cards, then you should just keep the old system. The whole point of going new is to get new with updated warranty and support. Unless you experience some serious issue, you can probably keep the old system running for a long time. There is plenty of old Nortel hardware available.

I've played with a demo version of the E-Metro system last year and this is based (I think?) on the Free PBX Asterisk server. It's interaction with Nortel based equipment does work and it well thought out.

As you are already on 7.6, then you should still have a few more years left.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Hardware isn't a problem. Card fails, replace card and have an advance replace with whoever (imo as a tech.) Telecom techs are on call, we tend to fix most everything ourselves. It works fine enough for me given the analog nature. The problem, really, is the unsupported brain of the beast. Apparently CallPilot - our voicemail, the ACD software, and the hotel management suite (which are all essentially tacked onto the 7.6 anyway) are either at end of life and either unsupported or soon getting their life support fail. An understandable point of contention. Anyways, the powers above seem intent on moving off of our the CS1000 because of this. Problem is, going VOIP exclusively is very cost prohibitive because of the wiring on the campus.
I guess, really, what it needs is a new brain. We want minimal wiring changes and an easy transition.
The top is trying to decide between NEC (plausible) and Cisco which wont meet my 3000-4000 single pair needs.
Honestly, I dont even know what exists and is reliable that would fit us.

The biggest issue with Call Pilot is the old OS it resides on. Our company has primarily moved to Shoretel and it seems to work well and has the analog capabilities if you need them, but no digital support, just IP or analog gateways.

As far as the E-MetroTel solution, I can say some really good things about it. I have one set up in my lab and I am running a M2616, M2008, M7310, M7324, M3904, T7316E, 1140E, 1120E, 1165E and an Aastra 6869 and Cisco 7975 all on the same system, mixing BCM/Norstar and Meridian 1 sets on the same platform....something not even possible in the Nortel days. If you want the legacy Nortel features such as ring tones and calling queues, mixed with new SIP and IP technology, this is the route to go. The licensing between TDM, Digital, Analog extensions is all the same. There are no licenses for features such as SIP trunking or SIP Phones, it's all built in.

It has sickened me when I have seen large hospitals and hotels ripping out their Meridian 1 equipment and paying thousands of dollars for rip and replace when their latest Nortel equipment will do the job for them with the UCx solution.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

We are replacing as well. 10 year old systems all 4 sites are 7.6 the ONLY concern is CP as they are EOL. The "Cloud Hosted" buzz word has reached the heads of the decision makers, and they want no part of a hybrid, so that will be the route we go. It will be a shame to have to disassemble my "babies" at the end of the year.

Hosted is probably the logical path. It has advantages and disadvantages just like any other.

You could consider transferring over to the UCx, UCx Mail isn't EOL and converts extremely easy over from Call Pilot....and it has Joan Kenley's voice prompts. Same guys who engineered Call Pilot are the E-MetroTel guys.

OH Zstic78 and Joesims, since E-MetroTel offers a hosted CS1000 identical replacement, you could look into that option too. If you have Nortel IP phones now and you can keep them on the hosted system and not have to buy new telephones. Nortel digital sets will work on hosted as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back