Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking into Cognos usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hello

Does anybody know anything about sessionizer, the Cognos tool for auditing Cube usage
It basically ties into ppes_audit (I think?)
I have downloaded and installed it but don't have any instructions for it use

Thanks

Damian.

I just downloaded it the other day myself. I was able to use it to build a cube using the sample MDL that comes with Sessionizer. It's pretty cool. I agree that it would have been nice if Cognos included some doco with it. At least a data definitions doc.

Anyway... in the INPUT section of Sessionizer, set the WORKING DIRECTORY to the path where the PPES_AUDIT.LOG file resides.

In the OUTPUT section, in FILENAME type the path and file name of the CSV file. Sessionizer will read in the PPES_AUDIT.LOG file and spit out a translated copy in a CSV file. In the MODEL FILE PATH, type in the file path and file name of the included MDL file that comes with the Sessionizer package. It is PPESAudit.mdl.

The only other section I had to update was the POST PROCESSING. Make sure the path to NOTEPAD.EXE is correct. I think the default has it looking in C:\WINNT. I'm using XP, so I removed the C:\WINNT and just left it with NOTEPAD.EXE followed by the path to the Sessionizer.out file. My line looks like this:

notepad.exe E:\Cognos\PPESAudit\Sessionizer.out

If you determine what the UsageCount and ProcessingTime measures in the cube are, then let me know!

Good luck!!!
Matt

For some reason I do not see any measures accessed by users for certain cubes in the output file. Does anyone have a better utility then Cognos Sessionizer?

There are text files that you can import yourself into whatever DB you like. We tend to do that to answer specific questions (Did anyone use the new measure X?)and very generic ones (how many users hit the cube in a day)

Where can I find this "sessionizer" tool?
Somewhere on the cognos support site? I looked there, but couldn't find it... :(

Yes, it's on the Cognos website. Under SUPPORT SERVICES, go to the UTILITIES link and you will find it there. I believe it requires you to log into the Cognos website.

tnayfeh said:
For some reason I do not see any measures accessed by users for certain cubes in the output file.

I use the PPESAuditFileProcessor application to transfer the ppes_audit.log contents in to a SQL server DB and there is a record of the name of the measures used.

With regard to mjcotter's observation about usage count, the counting of the usage of dimensions, levels and measures in the database accords with quick testing I have done - perhaps sessionizer needs tailoring?

soi la, soi carré

Thanks mjcotter, found it there!
(and it does indeed require to login to the site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back