Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for your advice on an ORB

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobart

Programmer
Apr 6, 2004
US
Greetings -

I am a software engineer charged with creating a small CORBA demonstration to show its benifits in an upcomming project. I am trying to decide the best route to take. As you may have guessed I have zero experience with CORBA, but I have read quite a few things on it.

Here is my question: In your experience, which is the best route to take? Using a free ORB such as JavaORB and OpenORB, or using an evaluation version of a commercial grade system like ORBit or ORBix?

What product would you recommend? Are there any tutorials or other additional materials your would recommend?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Patrick

First of all, if you use j2sdk1.4.XXX you don't need a separate ORB ebcause you have it already in the instalation kit. But if you want to use some other language, for example C++ I'd advice you to use MicoORB, because it is open source, free distributed under GPL licence, high performant, fully compliant with CORBA 3 specification and available for quite all of existing operational systems. Quite the same is about TAO, but it is CORBA 2.4 compliant. All of them are interoperable. If you want to hsow interoperability between Java and other languages, you can use the java SUN native ORB for java side and other ORB's for other languages.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

I did install the J2EE 1.4 SDK, but I was unaware that it installed this feature. Very cool, I'll definately have to look into this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back