Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for ways to speed up backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
Hello all, I am looking for suggestions about how to improve backup performance at my company. Following is a brief summary of our architecture.

We have approximately 25 servers, all running Windows 2000 Server SP4. We are using BackupExec for Windows Servers 9.1, with remote agents installed on all of the servers. I have two of the servers configured as backup servers, and the backup servers each have an Ultra320 SCSI adapter connected to an HP Ultrium 1 tape drive. All of my servers have gigabit ethernet NICs and are connected via a Cisco gigabit switch at 1 Gbps. The two backup servers each back up half of the servers.

Right now a full system backup takes 12-14 hours from start to finish, including verify. The full backups run from 8PM until completion, during the lowest period of system utilization. Most of the servers are multi-CPU with 3-4 GB of RAM and direct-attached RAID 5 arrays, so they should be more than beefy enough to run a backup. As it stands now, we can just barely fit the full backups on a pair of data cartridges (one for each tape drive). When reviewing my backup logs, I have been seeing a maximum backup speed of around 512 MB per minute, even when the server is backing up it's own local disks.

So my questions are this:

1. Is there anyway to actually get better throughput than what I'm seeing on my backups? Throughput of around 8 MBytes/sec wouldn't be suprising if I were backing up a remote server across a 100 Mbit connection, but it seems that's where I'm topping out in all circumstances (local Ultra320 arrays, 1 Gbit LAN connections, etc).

2. Right now the backup window is around 12 hours. I really can't let it go much longer than that because we're starting to hit production hours. If I can't get higher throughput than I'm already getting for backups, I may have to look into something like disk-based backups. But I'm reluctant to drop $30,000-$40,000 on a disk-based backup that will accommodate our current and future needs.

3. With the anticipated growth at my company, I suspect that we're going to start running into multiple tapes for the full backups pretty soon. I want to avoid having to change tapes in the middle of the night (as I do sleep). Going to an autoloader might be feasible if we can get better throughput (i.e., shorter backup windows), and that would be cheaper than buying a disk-based system.

What do you guys think?

Another thing to consider is that if you are contractually obligated to offsite the data for protection purposes, it is easier to send tapes out with the backups than hard drives.

PLEASE do not refer to me as SIR. I work for a living. :)

Chris

Sorry. :(

I did not mean to offend. I will punish myself by going windsurfing this weekend (Miami) and have a couple of beers and a steak afterwards! ;)

The offsite issue was also something that leaned us towards the tape lib. While the hot swap drives were not much larger than the LTO2 tapes they were larger and every little bit counts when you start having large numbers of tapes in offsite storage.

Yeah, the offsite is where we start getting into problems with the disk-based solutions. At that point we'd start looking at some sort of a replication scheme with a remote site (probably leasing space in a datacenter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back