Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for un-delete / file recover tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyB

MIS
Jan 9, 2003
US
Hi all,

I hope this is a simple enough question that is valid to ask.

I'm looking to recover data from a couple drives in my Win2K box. One partition is FAT32 the other is NTFS. These are 2 physical drives (Western Digitals).

The problem is that I moved data to a new Maxtor and de-fragged my 2 WD drives. The Maxtor bit the dust (crap) and I'm now trying to salvage anything I can from the WDs.

Any suggestions on software to run in Win2K for both NTFS and FAT32 recovery?

Ed

I think he's saying that he moved (not copied) the data from the WD's to the Maxtor, then defragged the WD's, and is wondering if there's anyway now to recover the data on the original WD hard drives.

I had to read it several times to glean that from the message.

Lander thats my dilemma, trying to recover anything post defrag, not sure if its even possible. I will try the software and see if its able to find anything.

Hi
Quote "trying to recover anything post defrag"

??????
Defrag doesn't delete anything. Do you mean format??

[ponder]

I'm going with format too... If its been formatted, good luck, you're not getting a lot back, if anything. You might try Datametric from but if the data has a dollar value, you might step back and try professional recovery. Funny, this seems to be a common posting today.

Matt

If he moved his data only from the WD's to the Maxtor, then defragged the WD's (which still had files on them, probably software), then the defrag would rearrange the data on the drive to make it "faster".

Thanks for the replies.

I got the PC inspector last night and its just as I feared. There are a lot of files that are displayed as recoverable they just dont recover they're useless. My guess is when I defragged the drive it just moved around a bit too much files rendering a bulk of the deleted stuff corrupted. I know if I didnt defrag the drive I would of been able to recover most of my data.

I will have to try the other applications that were listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back