Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for training material... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerric

ISP
Jan 26, 1999
US
I was hoping someone out there had some good training docs, etc... on ATM. I have been tasked with bringing our Network Operations Center up to speed with our ATM network. Most of the stuff I can find is either rudimentary and not helpful, or over the heads of the training class... Students are first line response to Ascend(Lucent) ATM network. CBX-500 STX-9000 and GX-550<br>
<br>
Let me know if anyone has anything they would recommend.

In late 1995, I thought we'd be using ATM for everything, including bringing multimedia to the desktop. It was a very hot topic by mid-96, but now it seems to have dropped off the map.<br>
<br>
Any users out there who care to comment on whether or not ATM is practical for anything other than use as a dumb pipe?<br>

in a word YES... <br>
<br>
There are still very cool things going on in ATM... <br>
<br>
The one thing that comes to mind is a phone call originated at the edge of Core ATM switch, used PNNI to address the call to a voice switch, translate the setup messages from B-ISDN to SS7 and call a phone attached to the PSTN. This very same network carries IP, Frame, Native ATM, Private Line Services, Ethernet, and Broadcast Quality Video. All on one single backbone! This is still a very cool technology.<br>
Dumb does not even come to mind even in the most mundane implemtations.<br>
<br>
Just my thoughts.............<br>
<br>
Jerric Davis

Thanks for the response.<br>
<br>
Here is what I was basing my commentary on:<br>
&quot;Today, existing specifications allow using ATM as a &quot;dumb&quot; pipe for transporting IP applications. The work in progress to map DiffServ control information to ATM signalling will eventually allow IP services to take full advantage of the inherent QoS capabilities of ATM.&quot;<br>
<br>
I think I copied this from a press release on the ATM forum although, I'm not sure. Shame on me for not sourcing it. I think it is saying the same thing you're saying, only your backbone sounds extremely robust--more in line with what I was expecting to see in the latter nineties. <br>
<br>
I'm trying to develop a brief overview of state-of-the-art ATM, referencing real-world uses of it. Any ideas? One article I read stated that ATM simply does not work because of its habit of dropping data packets. I'm not sure I believe that, but maybe it's only because I don't want to believe it.<br>
<br>
Any other input you have would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Quick note... check out Level 3, Quest, and Williams Communications in the current literature.. they are all developing national ATM backbones for atm, ip, et cetera... I'll poke around here and see what I can come up with for you...

Any one know what utility that is need to run the the Solaris 7 and 8 eqiv of atmadmin for a Fore ATM card? I know how to configure SunATM but have not yet dealt with Fore. If anyone has any knowledge on Marconni cards that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back