Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Strategy re Free Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosah

MIS
Feb 9, 2001
CA
I'm just getting into Unix\Linux etc.... I was wondering if anyone had a strategy for deploying the stuff from Freshmeat etc.. in a business environment?

I'm staying away from the Developement versions and looking for second source confirmation of stability for all softare before I try it. What else can I do????

Bo

If you want a nice 3rd-party recommendation of certain open-source software, then you can spend some time at IBM's developerWorks site ( or at the Oreilly website OnLamp ( Both of these sites provide good information for deploying open-source software in a business environment. There are many other sites--too many to list here.

Other than that, I and many members here have spent years working with open source software in a business environment. Ask us any specific question you might have, or explain your needs more specifically.

I've used a number of products from sourceforge in production on my BSD and Linux boxes and have had little (none actually) problems with them. In fact I trust some of this stuff more than I do some Win products. The key is to test test test, and only use the stable releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back