Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for stable router

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirerun

Technical User
Jun 15, 2018
US
Could you guys recommend a rock solid router for small customer service office.
Preferably with GUI to setup.
30 computers
30 voip phones (hosted from ring central)
Up to 25 concurrent calls.
WiFi capabilities and firewall are not important.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Draytek 2862 is what I normally use
Very reliable and highly configurable

Calum M
ACSS

If you are not worried about a firewall then you can just get a Network Switch (or two) and connect it to the modem.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Draytek 2862 is what I normally use
Very reliable and highly configurable

Seems to be a UK product. I’m in US

If you are not worried about a firewall then you can just get a Network Switch (or two) and connect it to the modem.

I forgot to mention, modem is in the bridge mode. They do need a router. As of right now they are using of the shelf TP-Link C3200.
It worked great for about a year and now seems to loose connectivity.
I’m not managing their network, owner is friend of mine and asking for advise.

Ok

As for some router settings that seem to lose it's touch I find sometimes a simple restore from a backup may not work but factory default first then a restore from backup will work.

And lastly Draytech is worldwide (Dallas in the states)

They link you to purchase at:

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I have, in the past, used Mikrotik routers with a lot of success.

That being said, SonicWalls are nice, although they require a yearly support contract.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Been a while since ive scowered these forums but we specialize in training our resellers on firewalls to successfully implement our white label hosted voip.

Sonicwall: very popular, we actually have a KB article on how to configure these. As mentioned above they do ask for support contract, but its not needed if you know what youre doing.
Peplink: Growing popularity has built in QOS and relatively low cost
Simplewan: Another popular one, centrally managed from one login all of your devices and easy QOS setup
Fortigate: higher end security and QOS

for 30 phones you absolutely want a firewall in place not just for voice prioritization but also for security. some devices are susceptible to being compromised and incurring toll fraud. We NEVER recommend installing a solution with more than 1-2 devices without a firewall.

Hopefully this helps, feel free to check out our kb for config info support.viirtue.com just search firewall there are a bunch of articles.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
We ended up going with linksys AC1200 flashed with Openwrt/lede firmware (my personal preference)
I’m long time user of openwrt and well familiar with interface, I’ve been running one on raspberry pi and very happy with performance. Unfortunately RPi bandwidth is limited by usb2 interface and would throttle their 150Mbit from isp.

DO the Linksys routers still "lock up" when over 253 connections are made?

(I know, that doesn't sound like it should be a problem, but you'd be AMAZED at how many connections you make at once.. just loading this page was probably a dozen connections).

I won't use Linksys ever again, just because that bug existed for years (and may still)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

And just because I'm in one of those moods....

"Rock solid router" and "$70 linksys" shouldn't be in the same conversation.

If it were my customer, especially with 30 users and VOIP phones, I wouldn't be putting all that through a $70 router, especially a linksys (for reasons mentioned before).

I'm not adverse to OpenWRT, I've used it for years... but even OpenWRT on a Linksys router would lock up (home use) if I started torrenting (>253 active sessions).

Save yourself some headaches, and your reputation... spend the money on a good router.

Just my $.02

--Greg

We have gone over to PfSense as a product line.
Seems to be ok and has different ones to adjust to your requirements. small and medium or large application.

I am with Gbaughma on the LinkSys, they are for home users.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

It worked great for about a year and now seems to loose connectivity"

I found some lower end models will do this and simply factory reset then restore from backup (or program fresh) will resolve this in a lot of cases.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back