Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Remote Control application

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdillard

Technical User
Oct 23, 2001
US
I am looking for a remote control application to that will work on NT and 2000 platforms. The application needs to have a VB SDK so that I can start and stop remote control sessions via my application. NetOP and pcAnywhere both have SDKs but they don't have the remote control functionality built into the SDKs (at least as far as I can tell). Their SDKs are focused on file manipulation activities. I need to be able to display the full "host" screen on the "remote" PC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sdillard,

I am not quite sure I understand what you are getting at with the "host" screen on the "remote" computer. I will take a stab at it anyway.

If what you are trying to do is display what "your" desktop on a remote computer you would need to initiate the connection from that remote computer(with PcAnywhere anyway). I do not think that is possible using PCAnywhere OLE. The connection vanishes once established so you couldn't see the desktop, but you could do remote file transfers, etc.

I looked around at all the remote control programs out there and could not find one that offers this feature.

I think given enough time I could kludge together something in PcAnywhere that would give this functionality. Probably would need to trick PCAnywhere into thinking a file transfer was going or something like that.

Is there another way you could approach this problem that doesn't require a desktop to be displayed via a script?

Roger

Look at the Microsoft NetMeeting SDK.

I can't guarantee anything, but I believe it is available (most of it) as ACtiveX controls. Perhaps NOT the Remote Desktop part of it, but it costs NOTHING to check it out!

The ActiveX controls only allow file transfers and such as Roger mentions above. The remote control sessions need to be initiated and stopped automatically (elsewhere in my application) and there won't be anyone there to manually start and stop the application.

Thanks

Perhaps a different software package that records the actions on the PC and you could recover the log files via a hidden share?

Roger

Try NetSupport Manager
I know you should be able to do this - (I work at the Peterborough office where it's developed - YES a UK company!!)
it has a 5 machine free trial for 30 days and you can e-mail the technical team on support@pcs.uk.com
In your application you do run script then use the NetSupport scripting language (similar to VB to do the rest)They'll talk you through any possible ways of doing this.
If you send me your contact details and number of machines you need to work in this way I'll follow it up for you and get you pricing
Cheers
Nic nicola@pcs.uk.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back