Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for PHUTIL.ZIP 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidJ

MIS
Aug 4, 2003
CA
Hi -

I need the program/utility called PHUTIL.ZIP. It's to convert my many years of Sidekick Plus phone.adr data for use with Sidekick for Windows. SK+ no longer works now that we've switched from W95 & W98 to W2K.
The Sidekick Companions Disk (contains a calendar conversion utility called SKCONV.EXE, found in the \Utils directory that will convert your file. Instructions are in the Readme file called SKCONVWRI which is also in the \Utils directory.
I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
VidJ

I've got a copy of the ph-util you are seeking. If you post your email I will be happy to send you a copy.

Gary

Dear GaryBritt,
I would really appreciate it if you could send me a copy too.

james.maidment@oceanfree.net

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Be happy to James. I've still got several dos utilities that were written specifically for use with skplus, like the ph-util.zip, a calendar report utility that pulled out calendar info, and a few others. Also have the SKWin 2 companion disk. I loved skplus for dos, if the alarm functions had worked properly under windows I might still be using it. I started using skplus for dos around 1987. I finally switched from skplus to SKwin 1 and then 2 around 1994 (I was an skwin 2 beta tester). I used skwin 2 until about a month ago when I switched to skwin 98.

I was very grateful to find this forum and people like yourself a couple days ago and the references here to the patch stuff and other downloads.

Because of my long history with sidekick I've developed over the years about 20 or 30 different specialized macros (I now use macro express for this purpose) that keep whatever version of sidekick I'm using working the way I want it to, with hotkeys that do what I want them to do. For example, because I got used to using F2 in Skwin 1 to take me to the current date in calendar view, when they changed the hotkeys in skwin 2, I wrote a macro to change them back <g>. In Sk98 they finally had implemented my suggestion from 1994 to make the windows &quot;zoomable&quot; like in skplus and since skplus used F5 to zoom and un-zoom a window I wrote a macro that makes ctrl-F5 do the same thing in sk98 (couldn't use F5 for obvious reasons). I've got other macros that fully automate the dial phone number process so hitting F9 dials the number and then clears the phone windows and hangs up the modem (after giving me sufficient time to pick-up the phone) without me having to do anything other than hit F9 once. (I really hate the appearance of the phone dialer in sk98 compared to skwin 2. They should have spent the time the put into screwing up the phone dialer in sk98 into fixing some of the minor interface bugs in the program, etc. - at least I don't have to look at the dang window much since I have never used any of the record info while talking features associated with the phone dialer. In skwin 2 they did it right where you could make a selection to have all the extra record info features turned off and not in view when using the phone dialer.)

I still use the Northgate Omnikey keyboards (Ultra F model) on all my computers. These are the ones with the function keys across the top and on the left where god intended them to be! <smile> The function keys on the top can be set to ctrl-Fx, shift-Fx, or alt-Fx. I use ctrl-Fx (because that was best with word for dos and then word for windows) so I can zoom an sk98 window with one keypress by hitting the top row F5 on my Northgate keyboard which turns into Ctrl-F5 has far as the computer is concerned <g>. I've got two brand new Northgate Ultra-F keyboards in a box at home waiting to be used if the two I currently use ever wear out <g>. The two I'm using now I've been using since 1990 and they're still going strong. <g>

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Gary -
If phutil can really convert my sk+ phone.adr files for use with sk98 I'm nominating you and James for Humanitarians of the Year. I was beginning to believe that phutil.zip was code for &quot;It's futile to try. There's zip solutions to you problem.&quot;
Do I need instructions for the conversion? What about formatting the data to coincide with the sk98 card headings?
Thanks in anticipation of getting access to my precious data once again.
Regards,
Doug Greer doug_greer@cbc.ca

Hi Doug,

Its been so long since I used ph-util, I'm afraid I can't help you with how to use it. I vaguely want to remember that phone util helps get the skplus info into a spreadsheet that can be processed by the skconv.exe program from the skwin 2 companion disk. There were instructions I recall that came with the skconv program about what it would convert. I believe the instructions specified fields of a fixed length (i.e. your spreadsheet columns are a fixed width).

Sorry that's about all I remember. I'll send you what I can via email.

Gary

Dear Doug and Jim, I am emailing each of you in just a couple minutes a zip file containing all the utility programs for skplus that I was able to locate. These include the requested PH-UTIL.ZIP, and also include two other interesting skplus phone book utilities. One is called SKPARSE and the other is LIST. SKPARSE takes an skplus *.adr file (i.e the phone book file) and directly converts it to a DBASE file. SKWIN 2 or any sidekick version can directly import into the phone book a dbase file. PH-UTIL has a dump funtion that can dump the phone book contents of skplus to your choice of a comma separated value file, a tab delimited file, and a space delimited file. Any of these can be imported into the skwin phone book. The LIST program takes the info from an skplus phone book file and lists it on screen formatted the way it looked when displayed by skplus.

Either PH-UTIL or SKPARSE will be the ones that work the best for exporting your info from SKPLUS into SKWIN. You may have to try each one to see which one gives you the best result. Its possible SKPARSE will do the best job, but you will just have to play with them to see. Keep in mind these are simple dos programs. Some of the output from these programs is to the screen only, UNLESS you use dos redirection to cause the output to written to a text file. Read the included docs for these programs, and if you are still having a problem with the exported info being shown on the screen only then using the following command syntax at a dos prompt:

Progname.exe [skplus.adr] > [output].txt

The > sign causes output from the program when it processes the skplus.adr file to be redirected to and written to the text file output.txt.

You should be fine with the programs I'm sending.

Gary Britt

Dear Gary,
Thank you very much I will get these Macros to jtotoole to put on his website and that will fill in another gap.
It's great what can be accomplished with helpful people!
Once again Thanks!
and

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear Gary,
Is the only one that is working at the moment due to more popular demand than he was expecting...

Regards Jim

It seems the need for sk+ -> sk95-99 conversion goes in circles. :)

I would greatly appreciate a copy of PHUTIL as well, but i am affraid there are too many of ppl like me to make garybritt email it to us all.

Just hope to see a link to PHUTIL.ZIP in sidereal.b0x.com REALLY soon. It would be the final (missing) link to the already a splendid collection.

Daniel
dotsaAThotmailDOTcom

Daniel, if you can't get it anywhere else, email me at gary_britt@compuserve.com and I'll send it to you.

Gary Britt

Dear dotsaAThotmailDOTcom,
It would appear that blatant Hints and flattery Work!!
See:

Where there is a link for Phutil.zip
Check when you have downloaded it that it is 256,695bytes and as usual, I would ALWAYS ALWAYS scan with a recently updated virus scanning program.

There are also some Word Documents and macros that garybritt wrote in the phutil.zip file; for info on how to use them, I would refer you to garybritt's post earlier in this thread and if you have any problems I hope gary won't mind me suggesting that he is the person who can answer any questions that ensue, as he knows them best.

Good Luck

Regards Jim

Hey James, you give me too much credit. There aren't any macros in the Phutil.zip stuff. Just some other programs I had that accomplish similar purposes like SKPARSE, etc.

The macros and stuff that I have are for macro express and while they are certainly no secret, wouldn't be of interest to most people unless they had the same quirks as I and wanted their version of SK to run the way I want mine to run.

Thanks,

Gary Britt

Sorry Gary,
It's Friday evening here and I am whacked and I obviously didn't check too hard, but fair do's to you anyway you came up with the 'stuff'.
Good luck
and

Regards Jim

Thx to garybritt for collecting all of this.
Thx to james33 for such a prompt response.

I had a SideKick Plus, 2000+ entry address database, and no further upgrade path. :-(

My prior approach to this was to Print-all-to-file, parse the resulting text file with a Perl script into some tab-delimited format and finally import it further.

I am glad it didn't come to perl scripting yet... [party]

keywords for search engines
PHUTIL.ZIP ph-util sidereal.b0x.com sidekick plus DOS sk+ convert card address skconv.exe database Sidekick for Windows starfish

Dear all,
The address for the download has changed, see the FAQ pages of this forum or click on the following link to go straight to the faq concerned

faq807-3761

It makes my life easier if there is only one page to edit each time the download site's address changes!

Regards Jim

Dear all in this thread,
See thread807-290530
for a related problem, if any of you have any ideas on the subject please feel free to post.
I was thinking that the very idea of saving a cardfile as an .sdb file and then being able to access it as a Data source from within Word(or even better any MSOffice program) through VBA strikes me as a VERY interesting topic.
If it were possible to alter the .dll's so that you could just use .SKCard files well it seems to me that the 'Sky is the Limit.'

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back