Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Organizational program to document clipper programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

metron9

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
I am using windows grep and Boxer editor. On order is Blinker 7.0 and I am using Clipper 5.3.

I have 6 programs written 10 or more years ago that share 42 database files and index files. I need to make changes to all of them to allow input of more than 4 digets on a job number. So I have to modify the field length in all the databases and then find all of the screen input and output code that needs to be changed.

Is there a program that will read all of my .prg files and give me a list of the database files,index files, fields that get accessed/read or updated. variables that are used to replace fields, All of the Function names and procedures and their relationships/ called by or functions/procedures that they call?

That would be nice so when i make a change to any part of one program I have a list of other programs it may effect.

Hi metron9,

First I program in uppercase. I have a batch file, findprg.bat, in my path. It contains one line:

FOR %%D IN (*.PRG) DO FIND /N "%1" %%D>>INFO

From a DOS command line in the directory that the prg's reside I type two commands.

DEL INFO
FINDPRG USE
(you can use any string instead of USE)

This gives me every instance of USE in every prg in the subdirectory with line number in the text file INFO.

Finds USE, ABUSED, USER etc.

Regards,

Mike

If you don't have a good programme editor then it might be worth investing in something like Ed ( which will allow you to find data in all the .prg files. I think that they have a 1 month evaluation copy available.

You might find the Snap documenter helpful.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Hi Mentron9

Going back a few years I used a freeware program called SNAP! which is able to provide very extensive documentation of a relatively small dbase system, including file layouts, data dictionary, formatted program listings, variable where used lists etc etc.

I have never run it on XP or on Clipper 5.3, but don't see why it shouldn't work.

It might be worth a look. Go to and search for SNAP!. Version 5.02 is there and it is free, so the price is right.

Jock

I am using SNAP! Version 5.02 with Windows XP Professional and Clipper 5.2E with Blinker 7.0 and everythingruns just fine.

Steve
South Carolina, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back