Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for OEM Windows Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi All,

Can anybody recommend any on-line stores that sell OEM versions of Windows XP/ME/98. I realize that I can go to price watch and look it up but since I have never delt with any of these stores I would like some suggestions from someone who has.

Thanks

Stealer

Wal-mart online is currently selling WinXP Home and Pro online, but I am not sure for how long they will be able to contiue this due to heavy pressure from MS System Builders on the MS OEM site.

-Mat

There are a number of online sites I've almost gotten on a 1st-name basis....among them Cruxworks, new egg, DirectDeals.com, buymstar, MaximPC, among others that I've dealt with.
ALWAYS check (even if on recommendation from someone) resellerratings.com and the BBB: BBB branches may be found locally for the vendors.
DEFINITELY worth looking at.
And pay with a credit card so you have recourse thru the bank to contest the charge if you have a complaint with what you got.
Print out any guarantees and invoices and save as proof for future verification.

Hey All,

That's Great! Thanks for all the links.

Walmart huh, Ok I'll check it out.

gargouille
Thanks for all the info.

Stealer

Maybe not a stopper...but I do notice WalMart sells the UPGRADE version...for almost a hundred bucks. Most ppl have OEM installs of Win98 and WinMe, which won't work for the upgrade.
Somewhere else on this site, I saw a gent say he contacted MS about putting his copy on another computer and they offered him a license for $84, IIRC.
Now that's a deal!
I think I paid under $90 for the last 2 copies I've purchased...watchout...on pricewatch, some have no CD, just the license.

Thanks for the heads up about the license. I have seen it on pricewatch myself for around $50. (The license that is)
Stealer

And I know you wouldn't ever do this, but this is for anyone else reading this... Whatever you do, don't bid on that 'XP for free''Guarantee' for $5 -$10 at Ebay.

...a friend of mind just couldn't resist that ad that the person selling it had. Much to my surprise, my friend was able to 'download' some monsterous size file which actually was XP Pro. Of course he couldn't get SP1 update as his XP copy could not meet Microsoft's Registration criteria.

Furthermore, his copy is loaded with Kazaa stuff to the teeth (over 100 megs of it). Also, his Norton Anti-virus Program went crazy, not to mention tons of Registry problems... You can get a legal copy at reasonable prices like the good folks above have all indicated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back