Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Nortel Special Mailbox voice recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

portsample

Technical User
Apr 10, 2020
US
I need to make changes to the recording that people get when they call our receptionist (handset 721) and do not get an answer. I've checked the recordings associated with the voicemail for this handset. When On this handset I do the following:

Feature 981, enter password, screen then shows "General Delivery", following this "ADMIN", "GREET", "RECORD", "PRIME" will play back a message that we have recently recorded.

In addition, I have reviewed the "Administrator" greeting by doing the following:

Feature 983, enter "1020000", followed by "AA", "GRTG", "GRTG" followed by toggling through the greeting numbers to review. Greetings #1 and 2 played back recently recorded greetings.

However, when we call the receptionist (721) we still get the message that we need to change.

Is there a diagnostic menu that I could pull up which might show me where the voicemail that I am hearing and needs to be changed is located?

Thanks in advance.

Special Mailbox"
Not sure what you mean by that.

F981 is to open a mailbox
F983 is admin programming

So when you call 721 do you hear the greeting then can leave a message?, if so its a mailbox therefore no need to bother with F983/Admin since those greetings are for Auto Attendant and not mailboxes.

In mailbox settings you have 3 greetings, Primary and Alternate and Personal
Primary is your normal greeting
Alternate will give the caller a short tone before the greeting is played, this is normally used for out of office/vacation
Personal is only played for internal callers.

Doing F980 to leave a message can help troubleshoot sometimes:
F980 plus mailbox #, listen to the greeting
Check mailbox 100

The General Delivery Mailbox (maybe your special mailbox?) is mailbox 100, some admins or rookie techs do not disable when it's not used.....it can fill up with unchecked messages.

You can check other/any mailboxes such as 100 from any phone:
F981
OTHER
XXXYYYY (mailbox # plus password together)
OK

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks for the response Curly.
"Special Mailboxes" is a term used in the "Flash Set Up and Operation Guide" published by Nortel. It is on page 4-14 and refers to the General Delivery mailbox (number 10), and the System Coordinator mailbox (number 12). It appears to me that these are intended to be the default location for caller information messages. The message that I need to change appears to be someplace else. I've checked the Primary, Alternate, and Personal message categories for both of these accounts with no luck.

Doing F980, mailbox #100 as you suggested triggers the recording that I want to hear. This is the "General Delivery" recording that I get when I walk up to the front desk phone do an F981, password, Admin, Greet, Record and Prime.

Thanks again. Appreciate your advice and time.

EDIT: When I do F981 (from my desk phone), followed by OTHR 721****# (with **** = pw) I get "Invalid Password" on the display. This password works from THAT phone however at the front desk. From that phone I hear the message that plays following F980 mailbox #100. This is what we want to be playing. It is the other message that we are trying to located and remove.

Flash Set Up and Operation Guide"
If I read it, it was a long time ago but the term kind of came back to me as I wrote the above, 1 had always called them "built in mailboxes" like a fool.

Those mailbox 10 and 12 are for 2 digit DN systems, for every extra digit a 0 is added onto 10 or inserted between the 1 & 2 hence your system would me 100 and 102.

If it is indeed mailbox 100 then you need to do OTHER 100YYYY OK
721 is probably the the Guest mailbox and mail box 100 is associated with 721 under F983/MBOX/CHG/100/Ext: XXX

It is typical that the GD is associated with the reception set, if the reception set must have their own mailbox too then you would create a "Guest Mailbox" (721 in your case).
You would have to check the guest mailbox periodically, or utilize "Off Prem Notify" (to Internal) or put the "Guest Mailbox" behind the Courtesy phone, handy if it's the T series phone with a red light so the receptionist can see if from there desk that there is a message waiting.
At reception set the method would be "OTHR 721 YYYY OK"

You could also reverse this scenario.

If 721 mailbox does not appear to be used then delete it but reset the password and check to see if it was taking messages.
This happens when employee are changed with no direction of the setup.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It is possible that x721 is assigned a different mbox other than 100. The mbox name just got changed to 'general delivery'. When I run in to this problem I log in to f983, press mbox, press change and then go through each mbox to see which extension is associated to each mbox. It might take a while depending on how many sets you have but you will find it.

Question: When I press F985, I get "Set 200" as response.
Is that the mailbox number for the system coordinator?

No that is the DN of the voice mail system, the DN all sets are "forward no answer" too.

"Doing F980, mailbox #100 as you suggested triggers the recording that I want to hear"

If so get this info:
-Go to F983/MBOX/CHG/100 and see what ext# is associated with it
-Go to F983/MBOX/CHG/221 and see what ext# is associated with it

and report back here with your results.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Doing this "F983/MBOX/CHG/100" gets "Password, Reset, Next"
and this "F983/MBOX/CHG/221" gets "Invalid mailbox

F983/MBOX/CHG/100
Extension 721 is the handset associated with the General Delivery account. The Prime message is the one that I want played when the phone rings more than 4 times, instead, there is another recording that plays. Could this be an "Information mailbox"? How do I get those listed? Thanks for your patience.

Ok good.

"F983/MBOX/CHG/221"
I should have said 721....check that.

If other phones are playing reception too (lines programmed to ring their sets too) then you may have a conflict with who's mailbox will answer the call.
To avoid that check the Forward No Answer "Ring" count on the phone system programming for each phone and change the main set to be less rings (this options is best to prove the theory right away), or the others to be more rings.

If you know which phones are programmed to ring then F980 those sets to see if it's playing the one you don't want.

Information mailbox is just a mailbox, the only way it will answer is if Auto Attendant/CCR or a human transfers the caller to the mailbox # and that would answer right away.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

"F983/MBOX/CHG/221"
I should have said 721....check that."

...returns "Invalid Mailbox". This is the receptionist's phone at the front desk when I walk up to it and F981, enter password, the LCD shows "GENERAL_DELIVERY", this phone also has the appropriate greeting that I want to play when the receptionist does not pickup. Instead, another recording plays that I am unable to locate anywhere. This recording gives the caller the option to leave a message by pressing zero. When messages are left, they are associated with handset 721 which our front desk person checks.

Question: What is the method to review stored greetings (prime and alt) on handsets?

Again, thanks for your patience.

This recording gives the caller the option to leave a message by pressing zero."

Wow that's new info
Sounds like AA is involved which just changes everything.

Please give full proper details of the call flow and please do not miss important details.

Example:

Call comes in and rings ext's 221, 222, 228
AA - Auto Attendant will answer after X amount of rings
AA gives people options/info to choose from.
0 Points to: 721 (or another ext or a hunt group), this is listed in Table/Adtndt

"Question: What is the method to review stored greetings (prime and alt) on handsets?"
Go into the mailbox via F981 and review from there.
Seems you already know how: "I've checked the Primary, Alternate, and Personal message categories for both of these accounts with no luck"

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Got it.
F983/1020000/AA/Table/1/Rec/Prime/Rec-Play
went to the offending recording and permitted changing it.
Thank you for your time and your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back