Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for MoBo help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

docmeizie

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hey, I am starting to look for a new motherboard for my system. Currently I run a GigaByte motherboard with an Athlon K6/500 CPU (Sshhhhhh don't say a word I know I am slow). Since I haven't been paying much attention to them lately, I feel like I am just barely staying afloat in the Sea of Motherboard/CPU Combinations. Can someone offer a good site to go to, or give me some good combinations as far as # of slots and CPU upgradability.

Computers are like an array of randoms, ya never know what ya gonna get!!!

I would recommend acquiring an ASUS A7N8x mobo. And if you want to upgrade your processor, choose an AMD Athlon XP2500+ with a Barton core. Now, this mobo requires that you buy DDR memory. I would recommend 512 Mb of PC3200. If you are an overcloker, the XP 2500+ offers a ton of possibilities and the ASUS motherboard is perfect for oc. If you want to know more about the ASUS motherboards go straight to their website at You may also visit ABIT'S website for similar motherboards. Theirs is at As to places to buy these products, there is a ton of them on the Internet. However, from my personal experience as a systems builder I would recommend two for their good prices and promptness of delivery:
1. Compuplus at 2.
Regards,
kshroben

It's all about platforms and at the moment there are two basic choices depending on if you want to go Intel or AMD, (thats Athlon XP or Pentium P4)
The ultimate machines are based on the new 800fsb Intel P4 chips 2.4 or above and use a motherboard with either the 865 or 875 Intel chipset, they will cost you more but do offer the best performance.

The more cost effective alternative and possibly the best value against performance would be an AMD Barton core XP CPU (333/400fsb) mounted on one of the new Nforce2 400 chipset equipt motherboards.
Both of the above are cutting edge ATM and offer the best possible performance and upgrade path.
A motherboard from any of the top six will suit just fine:
MSI, Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, Epox & Soltek
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The most beautiful mobo I have seen for a long time is the ChainTech

mmmmmMMMMM

"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."

I really like the N-Force 2 MBs. I have the Gigabyte GA-7N400 pro which is loaded with features including RAID. It was $122. I found it on pricewatch. You can get a non-raid for under $100 (US) and add an XMD XP 2500 for very lisstle money, Use good ram and a fast HDD you will be very pleased.

Thanks everyone, this is gonna help me study up on what good and the makes and models out there.

Computers are like an array of randoms, ya never know what ya gonna get!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back