Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Home Anti-Spyware Recommendation 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexxSysProg

Programmer
Jul 2, 2004
US
I'm running the free Zone Alarm firewall along with the free AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware. The free AVG anti-virus and ZA are OK but I want to have an active anti-spyware rather than an after-the-fact only search that the AVG anti-spyware (free version) does.

I'm considering the Zone Alarm anti-spyware product and Spy Sweeper. I've had some problems in the past with Spy Sweeper preventing Word files from opening so I'm a bit reluctant to put it back on.

I'm interested in recommendations between the two or any other reasonably priced active anti-spyware that you have found reliable and that isn't a pain to use.

If your wanting a constant watcher, id just go ahead and buy avg anti spyware. Its about the most decent one out there although me personally I do not care for real time watchers for spyware as they usually get on my nerves.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Webroot Spysweeper was highly rated in one of the last reviews I saw and I have owned it. It's easy to use. The down side is that you have to pay every year for a subscription. I use Spybot, which is free, on all the machines I touch, but I always advise people that 2 are better than one because (unlike antivirus) every anti-spyware program doesn't detect every piece of spyware. So, having multiple programs gives you a better chance of protecting/removing.

The freeware SpywareBlaster is worth using for additional protection. It offers passive defence using an immunisation approach with definitions updated every one or two weeks.

I've used SpywareBlaster, AVG's free antivirus, Windows Defender (since it became available) plus weekly scans using the free microscanner from Ewido (now AVG), the free firewall from ZoneAlarm or Comodo, and Spybot for a number of years without issue.

When I set up PCs for friends and family I use the same combination of freeware, and as yet no-one has had any virus /spyware issues.

TazUk

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
Martin Golding

Tazuk, I love your signature lmao

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I am still using SpywareTerminator (as recommended here).
Its free and has a real time scanner (superior to Spybots Tea timer in my opinion)
But I run scans with AdAware 2007 (free edition), SpyBot and AVG Antispyware (free edition)

Steve [The sane]: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

you cn also use these smlal tools for added protection!

get the hosts file from here.Unzip it to a folder!

put it into : or click the mvps bat and it should do it for you!

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

ie-spyad.Puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected

when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Also, arovax shield is quite good as well, but I wouldn't run it with spyware terminator which I recently removed as it was using way too much resources, but spyware terminator is a good program! Arovax is lighter and i have now reinstalled it!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

I just had to format and reinstall. Got hit with 3 trojans that neither free Avast or AVG could find. I bought Kaspersky on sale for something like $38. It also has a anti-rootkit with it.

SpySweeper is top of the line. I've been using it for several years now. I haven't had any problems with Word. You might want to do a search for a file called normal.dot and delete all instances of it. Start up Word again and see if that helps.

I use AVG Free, spybot, spywareblaster & MS Defender and the built-in Windows Firewall. This setup works great! All are free. AVG free and MS defender automatically update; but you have to manually update and manually immunize both Spybot and Spywareblaster. Combined spybot and spywareblaster block almost 45000 bad pages/active X sites.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am, for now, going with AVG anti-virus (free), AVG anti-spyware (free), Webroot and Zone Alarm (free).

I run a Webroot sweep and AVG-Anti-Spyware sweep at the same time. It is curious that AVG A-S will usually find more spyware than Webroot. Often Webroot finds nothing while AVG A-S finds a couple of nosey cookies.

But at least Webroot is always monitoring in real time.

n/p, glad I could help. Thanks for the star!

You're welcome, electronicfreak. Just saying "thank you" for your help.

The company issues Zonealarm program compatible specially with Vista, Did you try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back