Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for good Restaurant POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueTech

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2011
US
I work for a small IT company thats looking to become a VAR for a good 2nd tier Restaurant POS. We're currently shopping, any suggestions??

Squirrel pos. SQL XML based software and probably the most user friendly.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Established One and Two tier systems are usually done by territory and generally want potential resellers to have some experience in that market segment... there is a good chance that becoming a dealer in that area may not be an option. What are you from?

I'm actually a dealer of a two tier product (it's ok, but not one I'd recommend to anyone) and I'm currently keeping my eye out for something less established and a little cheaper- in other words, for a developer that is a little more motivated and a relationship that isn't so much like having a boss. The more established developers tend to have more requirements and quotas, etc... we've kind of had enough of that.

I will also offer this advice to you. If you already have a solid foot in the door with POS or have experience doing it, then this may be an viable addition to current offerings. However, two things I will tell you about POS- it is it's own animal and market segment for sure- way more involved than what most people are prepared for, you really can't just "dabble" in it. And secondly, the profits have really been competed out of the industry in the last 5-7 years. It's by no means impossible to make money, but if you're already making money elsewhere, I might steer clear of this.

Developers of tier one and tier two, and even some tier three systems do not usually consider resellers who don't have POS experience. So that's the other problem you may be facing, and may be a better reason to look at some more lesser known options if you don't have said experience.

good luck!

thanks for your input AK. A lot to consider. I appreciate the details.

No problem, Roguetech, I like sharing thoughts about the business and I will also be watching this thread for other opinions as well. Wish I had a more solid recommendation for you, as threads like this usually don't bear much fruit, but hopefully someone will come through.

The one nice thing POS *does* offer is somewhat cookie-cutter installations... I don't know what your current business does, but when our company did some small office support and consulting, each place was different, no one new any of the passwords or information about how the last company set things up, etc... a lot of head aches. POS systems can vary a lot of industry (table service, quick service, etc), but within those subcategories, they are all somewhat similar. The other positive thing about POS is when you *do* finally get in the door, you will likely have a customer for at least 5 years if you take decent care of them.

Bottom line, if you have ties to the industry or are partnered with someone who does, you can make a living at it. But I cringe when I hear someone say "I know someone who is opening a restaurant" and wanting to launch into a career based on having a sale. I've seen it done many times, it's not pretty.

The main reason I was also responding again was to add that to become a reseller of a tier two product generally requires you to put up about $5000-10000 in order to become a dealer. A smaller place might let you in the door for little or no investment.

Whoever they are they're pushing alot of stuff and have some funky looking printers. Alohaakamai, hit me on my gee mail I have some other questions boydswan at g mail.

Scrath that request Alohaakamai, I did not realize posting email is against the rules, although I do not see where to delete my thread. Sorry, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back