Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for good C++ environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MET777

Programmer
Jun 1, 2005
US
hey does anyone know any good c++ environments, preferably free:), but not neccesarily.

Dev-CPP is one free option. I've not used it much myself. I've heard from some friends it can be a pain to get running and compiling initially, but I haven't heard complaints after that.

Other than that, free IDE's for C++ are pretty hard to come by as far as I know (at least in a Windows environment)

Good luck finding them though and post back here if you do!

Scott

Get the VS.NET 2005 Beta free from MSDN. It's a little buggy, but it's free, and no other IDE is even close to as good in my experience.

Some additions: Dev-C++ is an excellent freeware choice. No any troubles with installation (and using) on Windows 2000...
If you are not short of money, buy VS.NET (of course;)...
Don't install both on the station...

thanks alot guys the dev-c++ is fine.

Dev-C++ does not come with a Visual resource editor. So editing .rc files by hand can be quite tedious.

Other than this, I find Dev-C++ quite okay to use, especially if extended to use wxWidgets. The exteneded version is wxDevcpp.

Best Regards,
Yeoh
--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back