Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for feedback on Avaya IPO 500 v2, Toshiba IP Edge EM, or other systems (esp. Mitel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
We're looking for a VOIP system to replace our EXI-IVX X-Class system. So far, we've looked at Avaya's IP Office IP500 v2 and Tohshiba's IP Edge EM Server. Right now, we're leaning towards the Toshiba system due to it's slightly less long-term costs and it's relative simplicity. Could someone with experience with either of these systems give me some feedback on their overall quality? I'm especially interested in Toshiba feedback since there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that doesn't come from Toshiba. I'm also interested in hearing about other systems such as Mitel. Not really interested in Cisco due to cost/complexity/CFO's opinion.

Requirements:
[ul]
[li]About 130 IP phones (about half full-featured, others just basic functionality)[/li]
[li]About 12 analog extensions[/li]
[li]Need support for more than 200 phones due to growth[/li]
[li]Pickup/make call via cellphone[/li]
[li]Call recording[/li]
[li]Call accounting[/li]
[li]About 3 receptionist stations (software or hardware)[/li]
[/ul]

Would like:
[ul]
[li]Use of non-proprietary phones[/li]
[/ul]

We sell both and I usually tell my clients this

Toshiba: the rock that will last forever and the phones are very sleek and stylish

Avaya: will give you the cool desktop and mobile applications

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

Have you spoken to a vendor that sells both like us?

we usually demo both

Where are you located?

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

We've had a demo of the Toshiba system and it seemed pretty good. The same company sells Avaya but they don't appear to be interested in promoting the brand. We've tried to get a company out of Austin to demo an Avaya system, but they don't seem very interested in coming out. Since we're pretty much in the middle of West Texas, it's a bit difficult to find decent local vendors or get vendors to come to us.

As far as call quality goes, are the two systems pretty similar?

Yes, like I said toshiba is more reliable , it is more of an old
School never gonna break kind of deal

Avaya is farther along with newer technology though

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

if you can't find someone local then pick something else.
Always think of a problem with your system and fast access to fix it. If you have to wait until next business day to get a tech travelling to your location then you lose money and a local tech with a comparable product will be the better option.
I like the IP Office but only because I don't know the Toshiba and work on the IPO's for almost 11 years and they have come a long way and are always trying to get you more and more features with simple firmware upgrades. Avaya is also offering a manufacturer option to have 24/7 service replacements (next bus day) which is for parts a good thing but you still need a tech to come by and troubleshoot it for you.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Give a tech a solution and he will be back tomorrow to ask you the next question, teach a tech how to read the manual and he will be able to solve the problems for a life time.

Take a look at the Mitel 3300 series.
They also have the 5000 series but I do not think it supports that many analog phones.

jeff moss

Motel is usually a lot more then avaya/toshiba

We just put an iPo and a toshiba quote that came in at 5500 against a mitel dealer that quoted the same customer for just under 10k

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

Can you guys clarify something for me? We've been told that both systems support using an iPhone kind of like an extension on the phone system. However, we're getting conflicting information on how this actually works. Here's a somewhat typical scenario:

A manager is walking across our rather large yard and a page for him comes across the loudspeakers that a call is holding on line X. Instead of running to the closest desk or wall phone and picking up the call, he wants to be able to start an app on his phone and press a button (or short series of buttons) to pick up the line. Additionally, he might want to transfer the call to another extension or put it on hold.

Will Avaya's one-X mobile Preferred app or Toshiba's IPMobility app do what we want?

can't tell for Mitel but IP Office can do it.
You need a license for Third party IP endpoint and then WiFi connectivity to the system, then a SIP client (I use Bria or 3CX) can make a call via the IP Office. If you use one-x mobile preferred then you will use your data plan on your cell rather than the wireless and I prefer staying within the network so I can control my environment better.

I would think that the Mitel can do the same thing as this is pretty basic stuff.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Give a tech a solution and he will be back tomorrow to ask you the next question, teach a tech how to read the manual and he will be able to solve the problems for a life time.

The app is simply a softphone client. Most (ALL?) systems these days can do it, it's just a case of how easy it is to configure.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back