Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for DELL Service Tag info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISStress

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2004
US
Can/Does SMS capture the service tag number from DELL computers? I would like to produce a report which will associate the computer's name with its service tag number, but I'm not sure where to find this information. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Do you know anything about WMI querying and customising Hardware Inventory?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Very little experience with the WMI schema. I'm running the Hardware Inventory without any customizations at this time. Would I specifically have to tell SMS to look for the service tag number in WMI? Or, is it already there and I'm just not aware of where to find it?

If its not listed you just need to add it in the SMS_DEF.mof.

It does inventory serial#'s by default however I'm not sure its turned on by default, but its in there, if it is false just change it to true. and it will prop out on its own.

Modifications to the SMS_DEF require recompiling on all clients, but we arent talking about this here just false to true and your golden.

its located in the \\server\sms\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv

smbiosassettag I believe in the mof (it would be around there or serialnumber)

It depends what value you are actually looking for, Im not sure what you mean.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Got It!!
It was there all along, I just didn't know how to find it.
Thanks a million!

I see it in the mof as well:

[SMS_Report (TRUE) ]
string SMBIOSAssetTag;

However, what is the easiest way to gather all the service tags along with their respective computer names? Any help in creating a report would be appreciated.

You want to list EVERY machine and it's SERVICE TAG? Or do you want a report that lets you specify a Service tag, and gives you the machine(s) with that tag?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

List every machine with its Service Tag. At least for all Dell machines. So a report where I specify the manufacturer and it kicks back the name, service tag, memory and processor.

Bit busy at the moment, will have a look when i get a spare minute, Tim will probably beat me to it. He always does....put his SQL skills to the test.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Here is our solution, custom report made in SMS. Hope this helps people in the future. Displays, computer name, model, manufacturer, processor, memory and serial tag.

SELECT DISTINCT Computer_System_DATA.Name0 'Computer Name',
Computer_System_DATA.Manufacturer00 'Manufacturer',
Computer_System_DATA.Model0 'Model',
processor_data.Name0 'Processor',
PC_BIOS_DATA.serialNumber00 'Serial Number',
PC_Memory_DATA.TotalPhysicalMemory0 'Memory'
FROM Computer_System_DATA
LEFT OUTER JOIN processor_data ON Computer_System_DATA.machineID = processor_data.MachineID
LEFT OUTER JOIN PC_BIOS_DATA ON Computer_System_DATA.machineID = PC_BIOS_DATA.MachineID
LEFT OUTER JOIN PC_Memory_DATA ON Computer_System_DATA.machineID = PC_MEMORY_DATA.MachineID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back