Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for cooling solution for socket 478 Prescott

Status
Not open for further replies.

rars222

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hi all,

Currently my p4 socket 478 prescott processor is running hot. Idle temps can be 70 degrees.

I am using the stock fan & heatsink which was installed w/ Artic Silver thermal paste. I also have 4 case fans running.

Is it possible the thermal paste has failed, or was not an even application?

and/or do I need a better heatsink & fan. If so, any suggestions? Thermaltake, Zalman?

I appreciate any advice

Has this always been a problem? What is the airflow pattern near the CPU? If the CPU fan is trying to push air down onto the CPU, and the other fans are pulling air away from the CPU area, you will create a "dead" spot. On my case, I have the CPU fan blowing down onto the CPU, and a side case fan blowing down onto the CPU fan.

It would be good to know if this is a recent problem. Anyway, you could still take the heatsink off, clean it and the CPU up, and reapply new thermal paste to see if that helps.

I seem to remember this always being a problem, but more so when burning music CDs and whatnot - not low-load tasks (checking email, surfing the web).

I am not sure what the airflow pattern is exactly. There are 2 80 fans in front that "suck" air in and 2 80 fans in back to blow air out the back. How would you suggest I test that? Blow out a match to see where the smoke goes? That's what I'd do to check the drafting on a hotwater tank anyways :)

I moved the case to a desktop to reduce dust and have periodically blown out the case to remove dust off the components.

I supposed I am being too lazy to reseat the heatsink and fan - although the writing may be on the wall.

The computer is showing signs of overheating - freezing up and whatnot.

So, if I did end up having to replace the heatsink and fan - does anyone have one they particularly like?

I assume that you mean 70C and not 70F??

From what you have stated that you use this for I tend to lean toward the quiet solutions. To this end I favor the Zalman line and try to use the largest fan possible. They have a mdl 7000 line with a 120mm fan that can move air quitely. I would only caution at the weight of some of their offerings and that you should remain aware that if you are to be moving this PC to take precautions.

Hope this helps.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Expensive but quiet and extremely cool, look at:

CNPS9500 LED

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thank you for all of the advice - I will try to reseat the heatsink and fan first - then look into the Zalman. Anyone else have good experience with Zalman?

Do you often find it necessary to replace the stock heatsink and fan b/c they are inadequate? I've read differing opinions. Some say stock works great, some say it's junk.

Just a curious question.

FYI: yes 70 C

My ignorance of Intel stock processors and HSF will show here, so don't take any offense to my questions. Did your processor come with any type of compound pre-applied to the heatsink? I noticed you said you used Artic Silver, so if it did come with something, did you remove it before applying the Artic Silver?

Yes. I had a defective mobo, so when I got the new one, I removed all of the old pad and went with Artic Silver.

I think I just need to try to reseat it, but I also think - if I am going to go and do that, I might as well spend $40-$50 and replace it with something better.

Right now, idle temps are 63c

Besides, I am having doubts that it's a seating issue. From all I've read on these processors - they run hot.

rars222
Could you give us a little more information please:
Like:
CPU speed and series (500's were particularly hot)
What is the motherboard temperature
General hardware (how many HDD's, what graphics card, case etc)
The most obvious cause would be a build up of dust blocking the heatsink fins, I guess you must of checked this?

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back