Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for COBOL book recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

almm

Programmer
Oct 21, 1999
US
Greetings!<br>
<br>
I have been programming in COBOL on an AS/400 for about 6 1/2 yrs. and have recently switched to COBOL/MVS on an OS/390 mainframe. Could anyone recommend some books I should purchase to help with the transition? I am looking for reference books, plus any books that would help with the &quot;particulars&quot; of the mainframe--if one in the same, all the better.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Michelle

At your level I'd think the way to go is IBM's 'Language Reference' and their 'Programming Guide' for the particular version of COBOL that you are working with. These books are awful tutorials for someone new to the language, but they are exceedingly carefully written and will tell you every detail of the language, once you learn to navigate within them.

Thanks bprange. I went ahead and bookmarked the books from the library on IBM's S390 site. I used the IBM books for the AS/400, so I'm familiar with their format. I will keep looking for others as well...<br>
<br>
Thanks again,<br>
Michelle

Michelle. There's also another site like this you might find interesting, MvsHelp.com. It has a lot of the IBM manuals there and a great Help Board where you can post questions and other users give you answers. ake a look.<br>

Thanks BayRidge! That is a great site! I emailed both tek-tips.com and mvshelp.com URLs to all of my co-workers as well--one can never have too many sources of information!<br>
<br>
Michelle

I like the book COBOL from Micro to Mainfram from Grauer Villar/ Prentice Hall if you just want to learn all about<br>COBOL and especially mainframe COBOL. But if you are an experienced user, try COBOL/370 for VSCOBOL and COBOLII programmers from Harey Bookman / Mc Graw Hill whichs is for the cracks. <br><br>my email: <A HREF="mailto:106353.515@compuserve.com">106353.515@compuserve.com</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back