Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for advice from 3dGamers on Controllers/Joystick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBPFL

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I'm new to on-line gaming and am looking for advice from gamers who are using contollers/joysticks. Playing 3d shooters like MOH,Q3,UT and RTCW mostly. Does anyone have a personal recommendation on a particular type/brand of game controller that works well for them? Is USB preferred?

I like logitec wingman(extreme).I dont like to use force feedback.It comes with converter so you can use usb or joystick port. If you have plenty of usb ports use them,If you have a dedicated Gaming port use that.I think I paid $40 for my logitec, i'm very happy.I am currently playing battlefield 1942 on line and can't find good settings for the joystick, sometimes that happens, but the games you mention you should be O.K.
rain

I have A Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital also. I use it for playing MechWarrior games and it absolutely rocks! Plus it reasonable. No force-feedback though. For that I recommend the Sidewinder by Microsoft. As stated before. USB is preferable (don't pay attention to the spelling, [lol] ) but you can still use the gameport with the same results...I've never really seen any kind of "make-a-difference" type performance hits. Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

i use my force feedback sidewinder pro for games that i play with a joystick (gameport). personally for fps games, tribes2 rtcw sof2 unreal etc. i prefer my logitech trackball (usb)and keyboard. don't recall what brand my steering wheel/pedals are(usb). they are high end though and the only way to go for my driving games. but that is just me. logitech also makes a pretty good wireless gamepad.
it mostly depends on what type of controller you are comfortable using. find one you like and go with it. like i said i use different types for different kinds of games. basically found the ones i am comfortable with that i have the best controll for the specific game.
hope that made some sense to you
happy gaming maybe i'll get to kill you sometime :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back