Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a useful tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwyman

Technical User
Apr 2, 2004
US
I need a tool that will allow me to report layer 2 problems, ie errors, retrans, congestions, etc.

We're trying to get approval to install switches and we just don't have the evidence that we need to fully support our justification.

I'm currently running ntop and getting some good preliminary reports, but these are accumulative and I'd like to have reports done on a daily basis that the counters reset at the start of new day and produce a report of the daily layer 2 problems.

This product will need to run on a FreeBSD box which is why I'm posting here.

TIA

Carrie

Could always write one in gcc... but maybe that's why I'm in software...

That's why I'm no in software because I don't even know what gcc means!!!

I think that Ethereal will give me what I need I just need to find a way to setup the collection filters to only collect what I need.

Thanks for the reply though!!

No worries; I'm writing a socket-level app right now, which isprobably why I made the smart-alec remark. Sorry.

Ethereal probably will allow you to do what you need. `tcpdump` will show you all the traffic on your wire, but it won't interpret it like Ethereal can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back