Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a tool to track login/logoff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellevine

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2006
US
I'm looking for a software product that will track user login/logoff.

Many years ago I used a product called "BIG BROTHER", does anyone know of their whereabouts?

Thanks,

Mel Levine

You can set up a RADIUS server and you can have authentication and accounting logs.

You haven't stated to what level you want this tracked. Network tracking, server tracking, or PC tracking? You'll get many different answers for the "best" software from people, as we really don't know what login/logoff's you want to track.

Is it a Windows environment? Unix? Linux? If it's Windows, just make sure you have plenty of disk space and use the event log, just configure it to log on success/failure.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

I agree, iownroot. We log logons using the event log and archive them nightly using a VBScript and a scheduled task. It has worked well for us.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

We use a Active Directory assigned logon/logoff script:

echo %username% logged onto %computername on %date% at %time% >> \\domaincontroller\hiddenshare$\LogonLogoff.log

Make the share hidden, and deny read permissions and we've not had anybody find it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back