Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a T1 based, virtual modem/serial port solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitchej

MIS
May 27, 2003
US
I have an unusual situation. The legacy communications where I'm currently employed has a backbone that contains several T1's with channel banks going to discrete MultiTech modems and servers with Cyclades cards. Specialized field equipment (There are thousands of them and all non PPP/SLIP) call in to these modems which are managed by the servers using TAPI for the call processing.

Due to aging equipment, multiple points of failure and need for expansion I'm looking for a better solution. I'd like to have a single chassis solution with T1 on front end (perferably more than 1) and virtual serial (RS232 COMx over IP) ports on the back end.

The old USR Total Control stack and the Cisco AS5xxx series stuff is geared towards doing this but the application servers need to see the modems as COM ports. The USR and Cisco handle PPP and SLIP but do they also provide the solution that I'm seeking? If not, is there any current products that can do this?

All suggestions welcome!
Thanks in advance.
James

Assuming that your software runs on a Windows platform Dialogic may offer a solution.

I'm assuming that you are doing POS or credit card / ATM authorization based on your question and the need to stick with dial-up connections. Is your application running on Windows or Linux or Solaris?

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back