Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a small Linux distrib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
What's a good small Linux distribution that will work well in VirtualBox as a small scale MySQL, Apache Web Server.

Thanks

-Craig

Check out this site:
It has 3 or 4 recommendations for small footprints, including "Damn Small Linux". I found that by googling "linux distro comparison 2010" Wikipedia has a rather comprehensive chart of the different distros too.

P.S. - does you handle Albion have any relation to the Fable series?

@Noway2: Back in the 80s there was a Robin Hood series on Showtime. I forget the name. But in that series there were seven swords, one of them named Albion. I thought it was pretty cool back then, so it stuck.

As for the linux distros, I don't come here because I don't know how to search. lol I like forums much better for their larger range of opinion. Blogs and Articles suck because they contain only one guy's opinion. What if that guy's crazy? He might point me toward MCC 1.0, or even worse, Slackware. :)

I must apologize if my post came across as implying you should search. It wasn't my intent. In response to your query, I thought of the dd_wrt series router which runs a version of embedded Linux but couldn't think of which distribution it was. In the process of looking, I came across those sites and thought I would pass on the info.

Now that I think of it, I can't say that I am familiar with any named version of embedded Linux, which may be in line with what your looking for.

I was just joking around, no offense. :) = joking Most of the people here are pretty good about exhausting their resources before they start posting. I just thought I'd add a little humor, is all.

Long long ago there was a mini version of Linux. You could install the whole server on 600meg. I have about 10gig to work with but I'd like to reserve at least 5gig for the web/MySQL server.

Looking to keep it under 5 gig, huh? If a server edition will work, ie no graphical interface, Ubuntu Server edition will come in under well under that.

I have a copy running dual web servers including SSL and PhP, MySQL, and Postfix mail, Bind, and SSH, and mdadm for software RAID. It currently weighs in at 1.47G. I haven't installed it inside VirtualBox, but I did consider it as it does play nice with VBox (there is even documentation on how to set it up).

By way of comparison, the laptop that I am using now with the full version comes in at 6.5G on the root directory alone.

Gentoo works very well in Virtual Box. My LAMP install (and some other things) only take up little over a gig. I don't have a gui installed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back