Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a simple disk cloning tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foamcow

Programmer
Nov 14, 2002
GB
Can anyone recommend an easy to use tool for cloning a complete Win XP Pro installation?

I'm looking for something that I can use to restore a b0rked machine back to a clean state without having to spend 5 hours installing the OS, updates and applications.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Ghost.....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Yup... ghost is the one.

I've also used DriveImage... but I think they got bought by Symantec (who owns Ghost)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

True Image gets my vote nowadays - though I still use an old version of Ghost (8) as well - didn't like 9 or 10, haven't tried it since.

i think the latest issue of PcPro magazine has a copy of TrueImage on the coverdsc.....

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

just checked - PC Pro is indeed offering TrueImage 8 on the coverdisc

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

That is indeed true - It is Acronis True image Version 8.

The latest version is Version 11 which also has some additional updates on their website.

The latest has a lot of additional feature and is available for a 15 day free trial – full package is about $49 or £25.

Not saying it is better or worse than Norton Ghost - but I have tried it and it works very easily and smoothly. I cloned two 500 Gb disks with 5 partitions, OS and data and all went very well.

Acronis True Image is your bet. In my prior firm we used it to image drives with a common config and store it on a network drive and true image boot CDROM would automatically setup the network, apply the image from the network and result in a fully functional PC with no other human intervention.

good luck,

Bob

Hi,

Although ghost are brilliant.

In the first half on 2008 micrsoft will release service pack 3 which will include all previuos updates (excpet IE7)

and then we won't have to do 90 updates.

I currently "slipstream" service pack 2 into my XP CD but there are still alot of updates

As mentioned, Ghost and TrueImage are among the best mainstream choices.

I found one called DriveClone which I like too:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back