Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a good CISCO unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

droze22

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
I am looking for a good cisco unit to manage my IP’s. Currently I have dsl with 5 ip address, and I am using a netgear router, but I can only use 1 IP address due to the netgear router, it is a one-to-many router, I need a router that will let me utilize all my ip’s but not cost a fortune, also would like the router to have a builtin firewall. Looking for a direction.

Thanks
Droze22

Are you using a Netgear DSL router or do you have a DSL modem connected to a Netgear broadband router? How many users?

I have a Netopia cayman 3500 dsl modem configured as a gateway and a FVS318 Prosafe VPN firewall. How many users Just me.

Yes I have a static 8 block, the ip were part of my package when I ordered dsl I didnt want a dynamic ip. as far as what I am doing with them, nothing as of yet. I looked at the routers you provided the link for, and they are very nice. I have been looking at used routers as well , would a 2505 work for my needs?

If not wanting to have a web server or email server with public IP then why change your hardware. You could make use of the other public IP addresses right now today. Simply put a switch between your modem and Prosafe then just assign an unused public IP address to a device and plug it into that switch. The 2500 series are considered end of life and are not even used by the Cisco academy any more. Take a look at the 806 or 831 routers. Both are dual ethernet and have decent IOS images available for them. The 2500 series IOS are limited and no longer updated. You could also use a 1700 series with a wic-1enet. 2611 would also be a good router but keep in mind that it ethernet ports at best are 10 full duplex and not 100. Be careful buying used and double check what IOS it comes with as most used routers only come with base IP. If you want firewall feature set then make sure you get one with it installed or that have have access to a copy of the image you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back